• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel leaking from filter

Gunfighter1

After hooking up my heater core and starting the truck up i noticed a leak. First thought it was coolant but took a closer look and fuel is leaking from fuel filter. Pouring out at a pretty good rate to. The filter is new within the last 6 months and all the hoses that go into it are in there good and not loose. Can it be a bad seal on the filter? Should i replace it and see if it stops leaking. This CUCV is new to me so im still learning the ins and outs of it.

davidkroberts

:ditto:

Napa filter will probably be in stock but they will have to order the housing.

55.00 for filter and housing but you will need a 1"Npt thread to 3/8"Barb which you can get at home depot

91W350

You probably need a new filter base. I bought a couple on Ebay, but if I had it to do over, I would just convert to spin on filters. Less mess, better filter, less hassle. The topic has been hit several times over. Glen

markg

After hooking up my heater core and starting the truck up i noticed a leak. First thought it was coolant but took a closer look and fuel is leaking from fuel filter. Pouring out at a pretty good rate to. The filter is new within the last 6 months and all the hoses that go into it are in there good and not loose. Can it be a bad seal on the filter? Should i replace it and see if it stops leaking. This CUCV is new to me so im still learning the ins and outs of it.
i have fixed them, take the water sensor apart in the middle of the housing and you will see a common size o-ring. the way i tested it was remove the filter, put temporary rubber fuel lines on the inlet and outlet of the housing, fire it up and watch where the fuel comes out.

Last edited:

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yep check the water sensor most of the time it leaks from there but you don't need the water sensor to run your truck.... or you can get a new fuel filter base off ebay

Barrman

I agree with the spin on conversion for ease of future maintenance, availability of replacement filters, security going down the road and simplicity. I got to add this though.

When I swapped over to a spin on last month. I noticed a small puddle under the filter area on the ground. I rechecked every fuel line and that the filter was on tight. I drove the truck around, couldn't feel any fuel anywhere but the puddle came back. I tightened the fuel line clamps more and tried to make the filter tighter on the base. I still couldn't feel any fuel or evidence of fuel. I also drove it and parked it over a clean spot again.

Another puddle showed up when I checked on it in an hour. Turns out I had hit the heater hose when changing out the filter and it was just loose enough to move and leak a little. A screw driver to both clamps fixed the problem. I just found it kind of funny that you were working on the heater and might have bumped the filter enough to leak. Since I was working on the filter and bumped the heater enough to leak.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pink wire is the 12v supply wire that energizes the fuel shutoff on the injector pump.

It is talked about in the TM 9-2320-289-10 Operators Manual, The TM 9-2320-289-20 Unit Maintenance Manual and the TM 9-2320-289-34 Direct Support Manual.

Gunfighter1

Got it thanks, just took a look under the hood. Are the wires going into the original housing for the water in fuel gauge and what should i do with them when i take the original mount off?