• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Sender Resistance Measurements

mjtracy

I had issues with my Fuel Sender, and pulled it out of the tank to troubleshoot. Ultimately found the float had a leak, and repaired with solder.

Wanted to post pictures showing the measurement of resistance at Empty, Half and Full locations.

The Sender does not need to be removed from the tank to take a resistance reading. You will just need to estimate the quantity of fuel in the tank, and see if the resistance reading coorelates.

I hope this helps someone out.

Mark T

Empty:

Sender_Empty.jpg

Half:
Sender_Half.jpg

Full:
Sender_Full.jpg

gungearz

Nice write up... Wish I wouldve thought of that when I had my sending unit out to clean it.... The float is a pain in the rear end to get out. My first attempt to take the unit out of the tank, the float popped off the hook and dropped back in the tank.... Went fishing for it.....

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also covered in the TMs.

Attachments

mjtracy

The interesting thing was when I first got the truck, it was working fine, and failed the day after I filled up the tank. When it failed I assumed it was the sender reostat or some other thing that "got off track" after I filled.

What turned out to happen was when I filled the tank, it fully submerged the sender float. The crack that allowed fuel to leak into the float was at the top of the float, so as long as the tank was never filled (up to the "Never fill past line") it would be fine.