• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gasser main seal replacement

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know what TM, that is available for download, would cover the 331 gas engine?

Or, has anyone replaced the main seal in one? Have a part #?

Thanks,
Dennis

54reo

Get with John Tennis as acetomatoe had a bunch of 331 gasser stuff and I think John is handling a few things for his widow.

Barrman

The -20 and -30 in the manual section with the (1965) notation cover the OA331. Then there is the TM-8022 which is just about the Gasser. Kind of a combination 10/20/30 all in one book.

ZiggyO here on SS also has a bunch of NOS Gasser stuff.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I couldn't fine the -30 1965 manual online. The -20 doesn't get detailed about engine repairs, just adjustment and replacement.

Can anyone tell me if it's a one-piece or 2 piece? Can you replace it by pulling the oil pan, or have to get the flywheel off?

Dennis

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 65 version is a -35. I just checked the -35 and -35P and neither have info on breakdown of the motor. TM 9-8022 doesn't have it either. I can't find the 8023-1 at all. Maybe PM Maccus for the info.

Barrman

OD Iron list a 1 piece seal on his site. My 8022 manual is out in the truck and the rest of the house is asleep so I can't slip out to get it. If you still need to know, I will look Monday.

JDToumanian

TM 9-8022 does not cover this stuff - it just covers maintenance and removal and replacement of components... Internal engine work / overhaul is in TM 9-8023-1.

Dennis, I have TM 9-8023-1..... The flywheel must come off. The seal retainer looks similar to the one used on the Multifuel engines. The retainer is removed, the round seal is pressed out and a new one pressed in, then the seal retainer is re-installed.

If there's anything you need me to look up, let me know.

Jon

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Jon, that helps alot. I'll be pulling the engine or transmission in the near future. Have the fenders/hood off the truck right now, it may be easier to pull the engine.

Did start to pull the seal. Oil pan and flywheel have to come off. Put it back together when I found the head was leaking.

Dennis

Last edited: