• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gasser value (Now home w/ new pics...)

Crash_AF

I have posted on Kenny's thread about this truck, but I'd like a little more attention for a broader opinion of what I should do and time is running out for this truck....

I found a 1953 gasser M35 W/W on Craigslist that the owner is parting out (I guess due to no title). It is a complete, functioning truck that the owner has been offered $3500 for the axles and $500 for other miscellaneous parts. He said in an e-mail this evening that he is torching the axles out tomorrow. I've asked him to hold off until I can come look at it, but haven't gotten confirmation that he will yet.

Is an offer of $4000 for this truck reasonable or too high?

Later,
Joe

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Gasser value (Need quick opinion)

Hey Joe

In some respects, I'm out of the loop. because of where I'm at, but if you want to do the dance, where you are, you can get a Multi, that is newer, that will have a title. The title means a lot usually. At the same time, $4,000 isn't much money. If this gasser doesn't have a title, does it run? When was the last time. I guess that I would be inclined to try to get one with a title, that is running. Any of these trucks can & will soak up all you time and disposable money. I don't want to fuss with one without the title, unless I was just getting a parts truck.
Good Luck

Lee in Alaska

Crash_AF

It does run, not sure how well. He has the red boat tank on it because the main tank has dirt (his explanation) in it and clogs up the filters. Here is his message describing the truck to me.

seller said:
I am torching the axles off of it on Thursday for the guy that wants them. Everything on the truck works the only problem is the gas tank has some dirt in it and it plugs the fuel filter up quickly. The axle seal on one wheel is leaking and over time the brakes leak out fluid I can look at the data plate tomorrow.
I just got another e-mail from him and he said that he will hold off until Friday to torch the axles so I can come look at it tomorrow afternoon.

Later,
Joe

Daneil

Can you really put a price tag on what you love. If you can afford and you want it, go for it. The only real questions is, Do YOU think it's worth it?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

that is so true, if YOU are happy with the price then fine

Alredneck

Banned

If its a gasser its probably a 50s early 60s truck so in most states you dont need a title, just a bill of sale will work. Most folks get gassers for their historical value because the multifuel is more effecient if you plan on using the truck for work. ( remember you can put gas in a multi ) I have never been real good at knowing what something is worth. It mans moral delima sense the dawn of time. So you have to decide if its worth it to you to spend that much on a truck that may still need some work to get runnin right and its overall condition. Worse case you can get $4000 worth of parts out of it!

Crash_AF

It is a 1953 according to the seller and I'm not looking to work it, but save it since it is a complete, early truck. It does run, he says that he'll have it running for me when I get there this afternoon.

Later,
Joe

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

remember, YOU are the only one (other then the wife)that has to be happy with the deal

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

While I agree that the title would be a major issue for me(because of Ohio law), it isn't that bad of a price. It really boils down to, its worth what someone will pay for it. If he has parts sold for 4k, you have to decide if its worth it to you.

54reo

gasser

...maybe the fumes are getting to the old girl...

Seriously though, you have gotten some great advise. The truck has to be a good deal to you. But the general consensus seems to suggest that the price is fair.

Attachments

Crash_AF

I don't know what the deal is with the picture, but the headlights are normal in person... LOL

It's a very nice '53 Reo gasser and we decided that it's coming home tomorrow. It fires right up and runs nice. It only has issues with the brakes and the couple of leaks. The winch is complete and functional (although it needs a shear pin instead of the bolt that's currently in it) and it has a heater. The funny thing is that it has the trolley valve on the column like a tractor, but I can't find any evidence of it being a tractor... I'll get pics tomorrow during the recovery and once it's home.

Later,
Joe

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
I posted a link about the same truck a while back , he wanted like 8 or 10 K for it, when I told him it was worth 3 or 4 he got angry, that truck sat for a long long long time. Thats probably why he wants to part it out. Goodluck with your 5th or 25th MV LOL, Jay

Crash_AF

Well, I got it home tonight... it was only 50 miles each way, but a few hills drug the 816 down to a crawl for miles on end. It took us 2 hours to clear the 50 coming home.

Anyway, only got two pics of the truck and wrecker... I'll get some more tomorrow.

Learned how to use the whiffle tree and the axle clamps today... LOL

Later,
Joe

Attachments

Crash_AF

New pics today....

Is the bracket in pic 1275 part of a gun ring mount?

Later,
Joe

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks