• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gear oil for our GMC's. Yellow metal safe?

Gunfreak25

I used to think gear oil was gear oil until I did some reading of my own. It seems that a lot of todays gear oils use detergents that actually eat up the metal parts inside certain gear boxes. The metals at risk being "yellow metals" that many old vehicle gear components contain. Even the M35 guys strictly warn against using non yellow metal safe gear oils.

I was just wondering if our GMC's have to follow the same rule of sticking with a "yellow metal safe" gear oil. Seems to me like they would. Although I have not been able to find any information to support this, and it seems like a very valid question to ask regarding the maintenance of our GMC's.

paulfarber

Use a good GL-5/MT-1 (that's the actual label).

Most, if not all gear lubes are 'yellow metal' safe. The 80/90 wt oils don't get hot enough to make the acids (combination of water, sulfur and heat). About 20-30 years ago this was a problem, not any more.

The GL-5 spec does have a test for yellow metal corrosiveness.

Gunfreak25

That's what i'll be going with as well, I don't plan to be driving the trucks thousands of miles a year anyway so GL1 should be fine. Does it come in 140W?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks