• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GEP 6.5 NA replacement for CUCV?

Brogman

I thought I purchased an older Engine since it was normally aspirated. It came from a Humvee. Low mileage. I read that the older GEP 6.5 oil pans would work in a CUCV and the newer ones will not.

Well, the engine I have is a 12555506, 07 02 K, with double triangles making a diamond on the top of the block. Best I can tell it is a Navistar cast engine. That is fantastic if true.
I have searched the web and the info on the 07 02 K manufacture date is confusing at best. I read two different explanations. I think the date is 07/02/2003 but can't verify that.

It has a mechanical IP not the electronic one.

Also will the oil pan fit? I don't know when the newer engines begin with the oil pan that won't.

I think maybe this was a new replacement engine with low mileage. That would explain the Navistar casting. All the accessories look low mileage too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stonepicker1

Brogman

Thanks Phil. I saw your project when I was researching mine. It does look like it will clear the cross member. The slope of the 6.5 oil pan from the front to the bottom is lower than the 6.2 so might have a front axil issue. At least it looks close if you bottom out the front axil. Did you put your 12 volt IP solenoids into the top of the 6.5 or just swap the top? I would like to put the solenoids into the 6.5 top if possible. I will swap the throttle cable bracket from my 6.2 so the cable will be the right length and so I can install the high Idle solenoid.

Last edited:

Stonepicker1

I swapped out the 24 volt solenoid for the 12 volt solenoid from the old CUCV pump. I also swapped the top cap.

If I had to do it again, I would just install a new CUCV pump.

Chaski

Thanks Phil. I saw your project when I was researching mine. It does look like it will clear the cross member. The slope of the 6.5 oil pan from the front to the bottom is lower than the 6.2 so might have a front axil issue. At least it looks close if you bottom out the front axil. Did you put your 12 volt IP solenoids into the top of the 6.5 or just swap the top? I would like to put the solenoids into the 6.5 top if possible. I will swap the throttle cable bracket from my 6.2 so the cable will be the right length and so I can install the high Idle solenoid.

I think the 24V top is different. 99% sure that there is two holes in it for the timing advance solenoid where the 12V covers only have one hole. You should just be able to swap the tops with no issues, if you were to try to use the 24V top with the 12V solenoids you would need to figure out a way to patch up that 4th hole.

20160225_210550.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks