• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting ready for Haspin 2015

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Front axle's differential was giving me issues(again), time to swap out the chunk(again). No clue why I keep tearing these up in my front axle. Here is some of the pics I took today.
deuce a.jpgdeuce b.jpgdeuce c.jpgdeuce d.jpgdeuce e.jpgdeuce f.jpgdeuce g.jpgdeuce h.jpgdeuce i.jpgdeuce j.jpg

I have new brake lines and seals coming from realcustomtrucks tomorrow(yeah Ted, a member here). Its great having a dealer so close to me. I will try to clean it all up tomorrow and start assembly. If things go well, I might install that air-assist kit I've had sitting here for 4 years. :shock: More pics as I get stuff done.

Blackbear

Rob I like the pictures, good luck on the repair and finding the root cause, I take it It's completely engaged last time it was assembled right? just a guess but is something else loose that could cause more stress on the front. Or off road may be an addiction.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it is all the mice in the barn.

You may want to talk to the owner about extermination.

Blackbear

Hey I'm no expert but it looks as though the teeth are only slightly engaged at some point, I take it you have a Sprague air assisted set-up, It could be drifting back when the Sprague is not engaged?

gimpyrobb

Nah, its air shift. The gears in the 1st one were dry, no oil had got to them so the bearings disintegrated and allowed the pinion gear to shift forward so the teeth on the ring and the pinion ground each-other down. The one that came out this time has some play in it too, just not as much as the 1st one.

Edit, this is in the axle, the transfercase would have no real bearing on this issue, the teeth should be in constant relation to each-other at all times. Nothing moves, it just spins.

gimpyrobb

Chris, those teeth look like they chewed on something. Did you find any pieces of material NOT ring gear ? Like axle end or spyder-side gears ? Or a small bolt ?
That chunk failed to pull oil from the axle housing, and that failure let the bearings burn up. That allowed the pinion to "walk out of mesh" and they(ring gear and pinion gear) ate each other. The ring and pinion are in a separate chamber from the rest of the axle parts. No way for the spider gears to ever see the R&P unless the housing breaks.

A quick video to get hyped up for HASPIN!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rocy31_vhTE&list=UU6iuTl_86sCmLp4myW17Uhg& index=5&feature=plcp

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would highly recommend Mystik JT7 gear oil. It stands up to heat really well and still performs like it should. Better than most Mil Spec Mil-PRF-2105E lubricants. It will last twice as long in a tractor rearend without the heat breaking it down and it lubricates better all the time.

gimpyrobb

No gear oil lasts long in my truck. If I go out in the mud, I drain the oil and replace it. The gear oil was not the issue. I looked in the R&P in this second 3rd member I removed. It has plenty of oil in there, but it does have slop in the pinion. I guess I caught it in time, no chunks missing from the gears.

I just need to figure out what is loosening up and allowing play in there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks