• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug 705 no spades!

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally got the energy to change my glow plugs in my M1038, I pull the first one out, it's a 705 it has a round connection! I bought 8 new Bosch that have the spade connector I thought all glow plugs had! The wires and connectors look brand new, can i get spade contacts for the new plugs, or would it be more economically feasible to just buy 8 new plugs that have the round connector? Just when I get the initiative. Never fails.

Is there an adapter I can buy for round wire connection to spade?

Apparently the 705 glow-plugs are foreign made and the Army changed the connectors to suit the foreign glow plugs!

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought all humvees used 24 volt GPs with bullet connectors.

Seems a google image search for Humvee glow plugs shows this to be correct.

What is a 705 GP?

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure those plugs are 24v? The cucv has 12v plugs with spade connectors.
Confused by your question. I'm not sure what Voltage the plugs are. Are you saying the HMMWV is a 24 volt glowplug and the M1009 isn't? I thought they were both 24V but that's irrelevant for the moment. I thought all glow plugs had spade connectors. I bought 8 brand new Bosch for the 6.2 #80034 The one I just pulled out of the Humvee 6.2 has a round connector with a 705 stamped on it(im guessing at this point it's a GV705 by searching on the internet. MFR-58823 also is on the glow plug.) Bosch 80015 might be a match, oreilly's cross referenced to NGK Y-107R
Here's a pic of the one I pulled out with the round connector and the replacements I bought for the application.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CUCV plugs are 12v to work with the 12/24v system.

HMMWV plugs are true 24v and use the bullet connectors. You need to exchange your new plugs for the correct ones.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter

HMMWV plugs are true 24v and use the bullet connectors. You need to exchange your new plugs for the correct ones.
Okay so what friggin glow plugs do I need? That explains a lot I had no clue there were different voltage glow plugs.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought all humvees used 24 volt GPs with bullet connectors.

Seems a google image search for Humvee glow plugs shows this to be correct.

What is a 705 GP?
I would love to find these 24 volt GP's with the bullet connector. Apparently my google only finds the ones with spade terminals. Care to help me?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay...... SO I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED THE FIRST TIME 2000 posts ago TO LOOK AT THE TM's!!!!!!! 5614017 is the part number.......EASILY FINDABLE. Lesson learned.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter

There seems to be a disagreement on this....... I ordered a set of glowplugs here: http://www.accuratediesel.com/shop/115.html They just called me because I had put in the comments section when i ordered them "24v" He explained they supply some to the military, they are stepped down to 12 volts in the HMMWV just like the M1009. They have the bullet connector, they are the part number specified in the TM. So who's correct here?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay I might have to do that, but why then is the replacement plug for the proper part number rated at 12 volts with the bullet connector according to the representative? Just trying to understand the discrepancy here.

papakb

Using the correct glow plugs is critical for good starting in the HMMWV. There are several options for glow plugs but the real difference is are they the older type that would swell up and cause removal problems or the more expensive non-swelling plugs that some dealers have over priced. The military uses pn 12338771 plugs. Alternatives are pn 5614017, 55584164, and AC15G. The AC15G is available at most parts stores and is equivalent to what dealers call non-swelling plugs, This is the best option for you. It is a bullet pin contact plug, do not use spade contact plugs in your truck, save 'em for your CUCV.

Kurt

• Military P/N 12338771
  • Interchange P/N 5614017, 5584164, AC15G

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I ordered 5614017 already, there was just some question as to the rep telling me they were 12V. Doghead ran it by NSN and they are 24V.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks