• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goodyear G177 or G286?

M1075

I'm looking into some new tires, either the Goodyear G177 or G286 in 1100R20 size. From a few searches on the forum, I know we have a few members running each of these in single configuration on a deuce. Does anyone have them setup as duals on a deuce or have them in duals on their 5 ton? I'm interested to hear about how these perform both on and off road.

Attachments

No.2Diesel

I posted a pic from the goodyear site of G177s on my M819 Ops/questions thread. It has G186s (12x20). There is plenty of clearance between the duals.

G177s are 43.7" dia. They look like to be the most aggressive tread out there except for the goodyear super singles that the transit trucks run around with.

Have you called Berg Tires?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We use 177's on our fire trucks drive axles. The civi fire trucks. All our M series use ND's. We use 177s becuase they work well getting the trucks off the pavement. They seem to wear fast though. Mabye it's because they are driven hard?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
James...slight delay in responding... :lol: I've got these tires on my M818 and I love them. I have another set that I'll be putting on my M929. They are great tires. I am sure the tactical tires are better off road, but I know these will wear better and will be better on the highway.

Attachments

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the tires on my deuce, in the dual setup and they look great. I just recently put them on and have had the truck offroad just a little and they did great. However I posted a while back about my truck was all over the road when I put the tires on. I have adjusted the toe in and done some other work to it but still having some problems. I am over it and truck is going to alignment shop thursday. There is one other issue with the rear clearance, PM me if you want more details. I will explain it to you its very important. I will post back on the findings from the alignment shop. Brian

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One other thing. The 11r20 G177 are 161 LBS apiece. Just tire alone. I think a 9.00x20 is 70 LBS. But I have not noticed much change in the braking. But have definitely noticed slower acceleration. I would definitely turn fuel up some. Brian

98hd

I've got G 286's on my m818 all 11 of them. Those are the street tread tires right?

I'm looking at getting rid of them and going w/ 16x20 singles instead.

I've only driven it 300 miles on the free way. Seemed to do just fine. They don't hook too well in the mud or snow though.

1stDeuce

Toddm, where did you score those G177's??? They have the same tread pattern that's on the Marine's LVS trucks. I keep searching for some tires for my deuce that are a little more soft soil worthy than the normal street style tread G177 like Berg has... XL's are getting impossible to find with decent tread these days, and it seems the tame G177's are the best deal going. At least in 11R20 size.
C

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TODDM: Interestingly, your G177s and mine have slightly different tread patterns. By the way, you have a beautiful truck!

toddm

I bought the tires from the guy I bought the truck from, we have a truck at work with the same G177's on it in 10.00-20 size. The truck I use has G177's but they use a 22.5 inch tubeless wheel. We bought the tires just last year from the local Goodyear dealer. The price is greatly reduced because we buy them under a state contract, because we are a municipality. They won't let me buy them that way though.

Attachments