• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has Anyone heard / had problems with surplus tires?

JOateyNV

I was told today that a guy disassembled a couple NEW / not on truck purchased mounted Michelin XZL's with internal bead locks. And found that the bead lock have damaged the inside of the tire bead so bad that steel was showing. Now, before everyone starts, it wasn't me that saw it, but I do plan on breaking a couple of tires I have to look at them. Just thought I would check and see what everyone thinks and if it's time to call B.S on this guy. Thanks for any input. Jeff P.S Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, please move if need be.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have ran 20-30 year old NDT's with no problem but I try not to use them on steering axles.
The super singles have issues if they are left flat for a long time and then aired up. The sidewalls almost always fail if this has happened.

JOateyNV

These tires still have the stickers on them. Their were mounted and stored. Tires look brand new on outside. Date codes are from mid 2006 to end of 2008. I'm sure the tires where stacked 4 or 5 high, but don't look like they have been on a truck.

I have ran 20-30 year old NDT's with no problem but I try not to use them on steering axles.
The super singles have issues if they are left flat for a long time and then aired up. The sidewalls almost always fail if this has happened.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What wreckerman said. The fact they had tires on top of them is NOTHING compared to them being flat with 10,000+ lbs squishing the sidewalls out in the elements.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Radial tires that have gone flat & sat that way for some time are destined to fail prematurely...it is inherent in the design of the sidewall belting.

I've demounted my 395 radials several times from modified FMTV wheels, and have not noted one single problem with them. Some have run-flats (I hate those things), some have beadlocks, some are plain...but I haven't had any bead problems with any of them. Of course they've only been mounted for about a year, I had to demount a few to grease up the O-ring to stop slow leaks.

So it sounds like somehow the beadlocks are not snugly fit against the beads, and are rubbing the inner tire beads down to the wire cords? That seems highly unusual...beadlocks should fit snugly inside the beads, and they really help seat the bead quickly when airing up a radial tire (my experience, anyway). I haven't noticed anything unusual about mine...

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sounds like someone didn't know how to instal/remove the beadlocks. You can screw up the bead surface if you don't know what you are doing.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like someone didn't know how to instal/remove the beadlocks. You can screw up the bead surface if you don't know what you are doing.
If the tires really are new, then here's the answer. :ditto:

The only other conceivable scenario I could fathom would be using the beadlocks for what they were intended for: to keep the beads seated while driving with very low tire pressures over uneven ground. If the tire pressures are very very low & the terrain very very uneven, I suppose that possibly this could result in inner bead damage? And maybe the tires are full of sand/dirt/crap/etc??? I carefully clean out the entire inner surface area of each tire I install, but I wonder how many out there don't...

Of course this is all moot if the tires are genuinely NEW...then Gimp's explanation is the only one.

But how in the heck do you screw that up??? Oh, wait, never mind...I've worked for the government for 28+ years, if there's one person that could screw ANYTHING up, it's a government employee.... just sayin'....

Artisan

snip
Some have run-flats (I hate those things), snip...
SS can I get some more from you regarding run flats? Specifically,
if you have some input on 14:00-20R flavor wheels please?
Why do you dislike them? Where might they be good?

I simply seek info from the beentheredonethat crowd.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
But how in the heck do you screw that up??? Oh, wait, never mind...I've worked for the government for 28+ years, if there's one person that could screw ANYTHING up, it's a government employee.... just sayin'....

I picked up a M101A1 last year from Ft Riley mainly because it had new STA super lugs and a spare all were a little low so air up and towed it home. A week or so later they were all low again, air them up then low again. I got out the duckbill and spoons to break them down thinking maybe they had pinched the tubes on assembly and as I was rolling the spare over to the work area I noticed it did not roll smooth. Broke them down and each of them had an extra still rolled-up flap in them!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Why do you dislike them? Where might they be good?

I simply seek info from the beentheredonethat crowd.
They are GREAT if you don't have to mount/dismount them. If you do, I hate them too. That being said, I am in the process of adding them to my deuce(395s on hemtt rims) because they are a good feature to have.

jasonjc

I picked up a M101A1 last year from Ft Riley mainly because it had new STA super lugs and a spare all were a little low so air up and towed it home. A week or so later they were all low again, air them up then low again. I got out the duckbill and spoons to break them down thinking maybe they had pinched the tubes on assembly and as I was rolling the spare over to the work area I noticed it did not roll smooth. Broke them down and each of them had an extra still rolled-up flap in them!

I've heard of that happening a lot more than you would think!!!!

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As Gimpy mentions, they are a huge PITA to mount/demount. I just cannot get mine to balance properly either...I have them on the fronts of my Deuce as a "Just In Case" reason, but when they need to be replaced I don't think I'll use run-flats again. They're difficult to remove from the truck as well due to their added weight to the tire/wheel combo. Just a personal choice, others like them & believe that they're worth the extra effort.

I don't have any experience with them in the 14.00 size, just 395s...but the 14.00s are heavier & taller, making the run-flats even more difficult to mount/demount, and remove/install on the truck. Good luck.

They are GREAT if you don't have to mount/dismount them. If you do, I hate them too. That being said, I am in the process of adding them to my deuce(395s on hemtt rims) because they are a good feature to have.
You'd think that with my living in such a dry climate (that takes a heavy toll on tires after only 5 years or so) that I'd be even more inclined to use run-flats on at least my front tires. I'm just tired of dealing with them...I've instituted a policy of tires that are less than 5 years old ONLY on my fronts, and they get frequent inspections for sidewall/tread issues.

If you lived closer I'd probably trade you straight across for non-runflat tires.... :-D

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Broke them down and each of them had an extra still rolled-up flap in them!
I've heard of that happening a lot more than you would think!!!!
You would be surprised (well maybe not) at some of the stuff I have taken out of military tires over the years.
The oddest was a can of C ration peanut butter that had to have been 30 years old. It was in a M105 trailer tire so I guess it didn't get enough milage on it to wear the can down. We opened it and the peanut butter still smelled good.:drool:

JOateyNV

Jeff, did you ever figure this out? The tires you speak of are 365/80r20 right? Do they have the same style bead as the 395s do?
Hey Aaron, I don't have any 395's to compare it to, but I'm would like their the same. If both are XZL Michelin's. Asked the guy to send me pictures of the inside/bead of the tires. Still waiting.