• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello From NY

StarKannon

Hello from NY, I am interested in getting either a 5 ton or a 2.5 ton and am here to do my research before I pull the trigger on something.

If anyone has any advice or pointers I'd love to hear them.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well before the blast-o-grams come, update your location. At least a state is required by site rules.

Second, welcome from Central NY!

Third, as far as the 5-vs-2.5........there are a million threads and opinions on it. It will really come down to: Intended use, parking (HOA etc), air brakes vs not air brakes, and just the general size.

Comfort? 939 series 5 ton wins HANDS DOWN. Driving experience (read thrill) 2.5 wins that one. I have both and have them for different reasons so it just depends on my mood.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site from Lockport NY . As far as a Deuce or a 5 ton , there is a LOT of information on this subject on this site pro and con . I would say for starters take your time and find the RIGHT MV for YOU ! Then buy as much truck as you can afford , with MV's it's pay now - pay later - a lot ! LOL ! Do you want a early Deuce or a later model ? Multi or Cat engine , duels or singles , same with a 5 ton . Do you have a CDL for the 5 ton ? place to store MV's and work on them ? Are you looking for HX registration or commercial registration ? I would recommend going to a few MV show's and join the MVPA and this site . If you get a chance the MVPA convention is a great place to see a LOT of MV's and talk to some of the dealers and maybe find a MV for sale . I also recommend you take someone with you who is familiar with MV's when you do look at a vehicle two sets of eyes are always good . good luck , bob k

StarKannon

Well I am kinda the first person I know that is into MVs I think they are a cool piece of history that I can actually use for something. (the useful bit is the gfs way to keep the toy budget under control :p)

I would like to do a historic for the much cheaper insurance. I have a bunch of questions and more threads usually trade them one for one. They look like really cool toys though

And set location sorry bout that

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PM me and maybe we can have a conversation about MV's , give youbob truck 002.jpg100_1493.jpg the 10 minute tour , we can meet in the middle and hookup with Wheelspinner , but YOU have to buy lunch !!!! bob k

61sleepercab

Welcome from Wild Wonderful West Virginia . I suggest checking out insurance options, parking and storage, and how much classic truck you want to handle, ........ Armstrong non power steering....... shifting gears at every grade change, learning for the CDL test if required. I say find some local owners and bum some seat time to see what flips your switch ........... who knows you may fall in love with a Willys MB still in the shipping crate.......... HA HA. Have fun and drive safely. Mark

Another Ahab

Thanks all for the warm welcome, and wheelspinner believe me we plan on following your lead shortly NY is getting irritating.
Sounds like Yankee-bashing; and not sure what that's all about:

- Lots of reasons to want to live up North

Though for the life of me, can't think of a single one just at this moment….

Last edited:

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it wasn't for FAMILY here in LOVELY NYS , I would be down in BAMA with the rest of my RED-NECK RELATIVES !!!! LOL :funny:

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree , UPSTATE NYS is a great place , problem is we are ruled by the downstate crowd , who BTW do not have a clue . I feel your pain about shoveling snow !!! LOL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks