• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help! Winch problems.

cbvet

Getting ready to install winch on myM35A2 Deuce. In checking over winch I got, I find I can't fully engage or disengage the winch clutch. Clutch lever turns a few degrees each way if I tap it with a lead hammer, but won't go to either detent position.
I can turn the driveshaft pretty easily, but the drum doesn't turn.
And on my '52 M35 the clutch shaft is broken off, with the clutch engaged.
Maybe this is a common problem?
Ideas?
Anybody ever taken one of these apart?
Help would sure be appreciated. Want to make sure winch is okay before I install it.
CBVET

jwaller

there have been several ppl on here take them apart and replace all the seals. I think all that info is in the vault. Not sure but my lever is very hard to move and if the pto isnt turning it's almost impossible to get it to engage. I wouldn't worry too much till you put power to it and see what its doing.

devilman96

The drum brake is prolly stiff not allowing the drum to turn, with out that turning it will be near impossible to engage the drive ether way unless the PTO is spinning.

I would not worry about it that much but like he suggested you can pull it apart and reseal it for piece of mind. I did this to mine as was glad I did as it had water inside and was rusting.

cbvet

Seems to me that one of the operators manuals says to "engage the clutch on the winch drum, then operate winch from inside cab by engaging pto". Is that not the usual/accepted way?
I don't recall ever using a truck winch in 'Nam. Actually, I'm not even sure why I want one now.
Reason doesn't matter. I want it.
Thanks for the tips,
CBVET

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have my son at the wheel and I only put it in gear when there is no load. I do not take it out of gear when there is a load. Seems like after she is run a bit it will go in and out of gear without pto running.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks