• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Here's an interesting dilema...

downrangecop

I'll lay this one out as quick and easy as possible. Two weeks ago replaced the starter and did the doghead relay mod. Replaced some fusable links. Truck fired right up. Then it got harder and harder to start (used to fire RIGHT up). Put a 4" lift on the truck in the garage, went to start it up and it took almost a minute. The next day, nothing. It pumps fumes out the tail pipes but no go. So I put in new ac60 glowplugs... Still just spins and spins and won't start.

I know all this beast needs is fuel and compression...and it's spurts heavy fumes out the pipe when trying to start... And it ran GREAT before. Ran great after the long start. No weird noises. Just won't fire up.

So any ideas? I'm running out of hair to pull out.

Midnight Rider

Have you checked the fuel filter? What about the IP? The fuel return valve could be clogged up.

When you say fumes, do you mean smoke? What color is it?

OL AG '89

Do you hear the glow plug relay clicking on when you turn on ignition???
sounds like you don't have any heat on the glow plug...... if even one was working the thing would attempt to fire...
have you checked voltage?
search for glowplug problems..... there are several posts that walk through correct steps for trouble shooting or refer to the TM 9-2320-298-20P.... I think

Midnight Rider

No fuel filter? Well that does not sound good. Sounds like you got a hack job.

You'd best download the resource manuals and look through them. But if there have been changes like that, those manuals might not do you any good.

downrangecop

I stand corrected. I was going thru the manual and realized that was a fuel filter. So how do yu clean that thing? I read that I'm supposed to be familiar with cleaning it. But no nstructions and I'm doing this off my iPhone in the garage. Downloading the manual takes FOREVER. Anyone explain?

Midnight Rider

Just drain it and replace it. It's about $30 at NAPA.

There should be a hosed attached to the bottom of it. Just turn the valve and drain it out. Pop it off, put on the new one.

You'll have to prime it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to go to a computer, and download the -10, -20 and -34 TMs for your vehicle. Save them on a disk or to your computer.

If you are smelling fuel, when cranking, then you obviously have fuel.

You need to test each component of the GP system. It is all listed step by step in the TM. The engine WILL NOT cold start, without a properly functioning glow plug system.

Last edited:

Shop Rat Fab

Downrangecop, could you have gotten a bad load of fuel or put gas in it? Raw diesel should be white smoke not dark as described. I'm with Doghead on the properly functioning glow plugs start there.

downrangecop

I'm thinking it's a fuel issue as it started when the truck was parked backwards in the driveway ( I have a steep downsloped driveway) so I'm hunting it down. Gotta prime the new fuel pump when I get up tonight. Gotta love the night shift. rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks