• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV ball joints

Mjvaden

I have a question for some of the HMMWV experts on here, about ball joints.

I have a 87 M998 I am working on. It has the old style ball joints on the uppers with the 5/16 inch bolt holes and 3/8 bolt holes on the bottom. I have read a little about the old 5/16 ones failing and am also having a hard time finding them.

My question is... Can i drill out the 5/16 holes to 7/16 to facilitate the mounting of the heaver ball joints?

Thanks, Mike

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can drill the uppers to 3/8...not much meat on the lowers to go with 7/16 though....that's a newer type control arm.
the uppers are not 7/16...only the lowers.if your just gonna drive it leisurely, the 5/16 And 3/8 are fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks