• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Homemade canvas/tarp top for M1102

Welle417

I have been considering a "soft top" of sorts for my M 1102 for quite some time, as mine didn't come with the issued metal hoops and canvas. I eventually want to make a rack that holds a tent or similar over the trailer, but until then I decided on a different route.

My first design iteration I went all out with my thoughts on the rigidity and the shape I wanted.
received_10156489351560165.jpg

Most of it is 1" pvc and some 3/4 through less crucial areas. Not set in stone, but I thought a good start... I was thinking of potential "snow weight" on top when I added all the cross pieces and the hoops... again, overkill, but I over do nearly everything for reliability sake.

received_10156490830155165.jpg

I recently drove from AK to ND and will be driving within the next couple weeks about 3000 more miles around the country. I haven't had the time to do THIS particular design so I went ahead and built the beginnings of a simpler, much more accelerated idea.

20160208_171852_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Thus far it's been going well, I spent the most time trying to find a suitable mounting solution and a proper tarp to use. More to come on that. Interested to hear your thoughts.

FloridaAKM

PVC when cold gets real brittle, so tied with the wind, you may have a problem there, but your idea is definitely innovative! Keep us posted as to how well it works!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I started with metal/fiberglass HMMWV sideracks. Member 1954coe welded on an extension to the front. Some cutting and trimming and drilling of new holes and it fits pretty well. Already conceptualized a front rack using a M105 front rack but haven't started it yet. After that, use standard HMMWV bows that will be cut down a little lower. Then modify a HMMWV tarp. Id post a pic but I'm in PA and the trailer is still in TX. HOWEVER, if someone wants a picture, they can grab the trailer and drive it up here to me and I'll take a picture of it for them.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it will work great as a static cover in camp, but I worry about how it will hold up at highway speeds with the tarp on if that is your intention.

Landbarger

I'm very interested to see if this works for you. I'm currently making sidewalls for an M116A3 out of aluminum storage containers...but haven't figured out how to cap the top. If PVC works, I'll probably go that route.

goldneagle

Why not just use EMT electrical conduit or Chain link fence pipes? Also can re-utilize a tubular car port or shelter frame.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks