• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hood Vibration Dampeners

JDToumanian

Hi Group,
The rubber strips along the front edge of my hood, where it touches the top of the grille, were dried up and crumbly. I couldn't find these parts in the surplus channels or through 'full service' dealers such as Memphis, so I made my own.

It took me a while to think of this... Where to find a strip of rubber that's 3/4" wide, 7" long and 1/4" thick? Then it came to me - a flat rubber "bungee" cord, available at auto parts and hardware stores!

I cut the ends off, then cut the remaining piece in half. Drilling the countersunk holes was a pain... I used a 3/8" endmill first, to about half way through. Then drilled the smaller hole for the shank of the #10-32 stainless screws.

Regards,
Jon

Attachments

No.2Diesel

Hmmm...I don't even think my Deuce has those. Just the plastic bumpstops on top of the grill. Excellent idea. Now go after those rattling side panels. It only seems to be a problem when idling.
--------------

What MV Depression? :D Thats not possible.

JDToumanian

Jon, glad to see you're over your MV depression and back amongst the rabble.
What MV Depression? ... Thats not possible.
Thanks Kenny! It's nice to know that friends care. Will called me and said the group was wondering what had happened to me. At that time, I was just getting back to work on my deuce. Now I'm going full steam ahead once again, and it will be done in a few weeks.

I may not have thought MV burnout / depression was possible, but I got it... Big time.

Here's what happened... I had painted the entire truck except the interior. The next day I noticed I had missed some spots, and some other areas were a little thin. A few weeks later, I took a 3-day weekend to get some serious work done... sanding and prepping the interior and some other parts, and painting the interior and the spots on the truck I had missed. On the third day I was spraying paint. It seemed like all was going well, but I must have used a little too much thinner, because a few minutes later large areas of paint were starting to sag. You may be tempted to say "That makes it authentic", or that it doesn't matter... I'm by no means a perfectionist, and while my deuce will be very clean and well restored there will be plenty of little drips and runs.... But this looked bad. :evil:

What was most frustrating was that taking that time off work cost me a lot of money. (I'm usually on-call 24/7 and work odd hours). I felt like all three days were a complete waste, it all needed to be redone. I'd have gotten more done on the truck if I had gone to work and not touched it. I threw everything into the garage, slammed the door and didn't open it for almost three months. Nice little temper tantrum, eh? :roll:

Here's a recent pic...

Jon

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope you fair better with the V18 project. At least you will have your driver deuce to take your frustrations out on

No.2Diesel

Well it looks like your determination has produced success and will inspire others. That truck looks too nice! How many dry sunny vehicle painting days a year do you get again? Sorry thats my weather jealousy talking. :)

Have you gotten the chance to play with your post hole digger?

Crazyguyla

I original rubber pads for the hood are made from hard rubber.. I think there's small round rubber pads for the side panels too.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
GREAT JOB JD! Keep up the good work.

Maybe we can race to completion on polesetters - but you're already way ahead of me!

DD

rmgill

I've been wanting to replace these as well as add insulation to the hood and side panels. I figure those would both be VERY good for reducing engine noise on long drives.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great Jon. Can't wait to see it in November :D You'll see my junk too! I'll feel like mine is a POS with you and Mike :(

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a great idea! my strips are glued on and not nearly so thick. Rattles like a hooptie from the ghetto!