• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hoses slowly becoming greasy

Jack Lope

What are your thoughts on this? I've noticed lately that the hoses that come off the back of the master cylinder are starting to show grease or oil. It looks like one goes to the power steering pump and another to the steering gear box which also looks damp.
Hoses need replaced? Another issue I should be concerned about?

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

cucvrus

That is minor. They are 30 years old. And yes they are starting to leak. They are still available from any local parts stores. Nothing special about them. Don't even mention anything about it being military. That sends parts men into a tail spin. Just get the hoses for a 1984 K30 diesel pick up truck. Good luck with your project. Happy Holidays. but the hoses you are showing me will last for years. I personally would not worry about them. Unless I seen a drop forming on them or fluid under the truck. My opinion only. If you need something to do and have a few bucks change them.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are your power steering hoses that operate the Hydroboost (power) brakes. I have seen a lot worse.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not worry about them at all.

Drock

That's about what mine looked like when I changed them. I figured there 30 years old ,they run the brakes and the power steering so why not? I tow for long distances with my truck and It's cheaper and easier to replace stuff like this now then ah 100 miles from home and on the side of the road. I bought mine from advanced...

Skinny

I had the same thing, I bought all of them on RockAuto pretty cheap. Everything fit well except one did not look exactly like the original, just required a minor tweak. Nothing like the oil cooler lines people have trouble with. I changed mine because for under $100, its cheap insurance to avoid a blowout and lose power steering and brake assist. Not to mention the amount of a mess it would make blowing oil everywhere.

Check your state inspection laws, this more than likely would fail in most states which would be reason to change them now.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wipe then off and watch them for the next month, then decide.

edpdx

I changed mine this past summer. They looked about like yours, but were leaking onto other parts. The only problem with changing them was that the elbow angles on the aftermarket parts are a little off where they run through a bracket at the rear of the block. Look up my thread on this fix.

Basically, you have to change the channel angles on the bracket from parallel to a slight angle for one of the hoses. Pretty easy. Then everything goes in well and the hose won't work itself loose later.