• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how can I get 24 volts to power a lamp socket?

edpdx

I bought a MRE Ration Heater and the power plug (silver end on cable in first pic) for it needs to be placed into a lamp socket like a standard tail lamp. I am going to rig a dash mount socket built into a reamed out 12v power supply socket- the type with a cover. I'll just epoxy a lamp socket into the hollowed out tube. Question for the electrical savvy: Where can I get the 24volts to go to the "socket"mount, and is 10gauge wire large enough for 24volts? I want the socket "HOT" all the time as the cable has an ON/OFF switch anyway.

heater.jpg

ge1157.jpg

bearboley

My truck has a dash mount socket in it, It also had a work light that was in the truck that looks like pac man on the end of a flashlight with about a 10 ft cord on it. So what you need is out there somewhere. Where did you get your heater I like it

steelandcanvas

Your wire gauge is determined by your current draw (Watts or Amps) not your voltage. I think if you'll do a search, you'll find maybe someone else located the correct receptacle. Divide Volts into Watts to get Amps.

edpdx

bearboley, I got mine on ebay... I think. It was about a year ago and IICR it was about the same price as this one:

ebay heater

:idea: Hey, what truck and what parts TM do you use, I can look it up :idea:

KsM715

I would tap into the same place your slave recept. is connected (or where the wires on the recept. are hooked up to it). You'll have constant 24V off that.

91W350

While stripping some switches out of a five ton, I found some heavy duty molded wire splitters, similar to the #40 wire split that goes to the dash lights, but in 10 gauge. I am not sure what the part number would be, but they are short and come from the wiring on at the man switch. The have the standard military Packard style connector and would make for a clean break away for a 24v source at the main power switch.

Otherwise, just make a short harness from the batteries like Jeff said and run it to your socket. Glen

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a matter of safety for everyone tying onto the battery terminals. You may want to consider putting a fuse or fusible link as close to the battery as possible. That way IF your wire rubs through along the way to your fuse block the hopefully be spared flames and/or lots of magic smoke.

Gimpy and I have found several trucks coming out of GL with scabbed on wires without fuses of any kind. Just because the government got away with it doesn't mean we should try.

YMMV

mistaken1

I would not consider installing a fuse or fuse link to protect the wires.

I would tell you in no uncertain terms that such a safety device is mandatory, unless of course you want to watch your truck burn and possibly worse.....

You can use the two terminal strips on the firewall behind the back battery. One is positive and one is negative. Use crimp on ring terminals on your negative #10 wire. Go to wally world and get an inline fuse holder and splice it to your positive wire and put the ring terminal on the other end so that you can protect your wires at the source.

Then proceed with your socket plans.

Last edited:

Barrman

Does it have to be on the dash? You already have 24V buss bars on the passenger side behind the door for the radio. Tie in right there since there are 4 or 5 spare lugs ready for wires.

edpdx

Thanks for all the great ideas guys. I like the idea of coming off the rear seat buss. I'll take a look today.

K9Vic good call on the mat difference. I am going to check the order and invoice now. From the pics, I definitely got the wrong one. Now the question is, am I that lame that I screwed up. :-(

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks