• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you remove broken bows?

dm22630

One of my deuces has EVERY troop seat post with a broken bow in it. Some are broken off flush with the top & some are broken off 6-12 inches inside. They will NOT come out no matter what I try.

I took the troop seat apart, inserted a new 1"x3" piece of wood and tried to force the old wood out. I failed miserably.

I think that they are waterlogged & have swollen inside the posts.

HEEEEEEEELP!! aua aua aua

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take the sides off and poke them out from the bottom side. If they are too swolen, get a long drill bit and drill down the center. That should relieve some pressure so they can be pushed out.

ah1955

I had the same problem all if mine looked like they were cot off flush with the top of the troop rack, half pulled right out, half of the rest I had to take the post off the troop rack and drive them out from the bottom, but I had two that I just about gave up on then the one finally broke loose by standing on a ladder and using a piece of round stock in the stake and a slide hammer type action ramming the stake down on to the steel bar.
The last one I ended up cutting a slot down the side of the stake to releave the pressure, the wood was swelled that tight, then welded the stake back.
I used an narrow cut-off wheel on an air cut-off tool so the slice was not that wide.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like Will said: drill as much out as you can, then put a heat gun on it for a half hour, or so. In fact, if your going to re-paint, you can get more aggressive then that. That heat gun will dry things out. Then a long chisel, and cave the pieces inward.

Lee in Alaska

DanMartin

Get one of those flexible drill bits that electricians use to run new wire in old houses...they are like 2-3' long and have an auger on the end. Made of spring steel so they can actually drill around a corner. That will help you dig most of it out.

..then try heat/fire/torch.

If that does not work...there's always caustic lye. :)

rsh253

At least I know now that I'm not the only one with this problem. I have one broken canopy bow I can't get out. I've tried drilling to relieve the pressure, screwing in a long lag bolt & pulling from the top, same but hammering from the bottom, even the lighter fluid (wouldn't stay lit). Next I'm going to try heating the metal with a propane torch and burning the sucker out :twisted: . I hope it will dry-out the wood and allow it to shrink plus burn the outsiide. Afterwards, I'll touch the paint up with a rattle can. I'll report back on my success; or lack there-of.

-Russ

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had several do this to me. After them getting the best of me, I took that upright off the troopseats and tossed it in the fire. That didn't work either. After my experience, I'd think drilling to be the only way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks