• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to detemine year of deuce?

saddamsnightmare

November 26th, 2009.

Might I suggest serial numbers and DAAE contract from the dashboard data plate
(look up article by David Doyle on how to identify your deuce from Military Vehicle Preservation Association Magazine- it's here under resources somewhere), failing that, the serial number on the frame, front left between the rear spring shackle and the axle, or front right frame (in front of the axle, I believe). These trucks got rebuilt with parts swapped around indiscriminately, that to call anything but the frame a given year is getting pretty hairy. I guess some may have lived sheltered lives as hanger queens, but most went through at least on depot rebuild sooner or later. Then there were the deuces built from excess parts and not carried on the TOE for a given unit, usually they had to disappear before movement outta the theatre (Vietnam, most commonly).
CARNAC can often give you information from the SN and DAAE contract numbers.

Just my .02, but others will weigh in. Have a Happy Thanksgiving,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
somewhere there is for the deuce, dating data done by DD, this matched the vin, what it was (m35, m109, m50 ect. ), the hood number, date of manufacturer ,and who manufactured it

stumps

Searched some old threads from 2006 and so forth, still didn't find much, anyway to determine year of truck?
On some deuces it is easy. My '69 Kaiser/Jeep has an identification number on the data plate that starts: 04M-57869-XXX-XXXXX

The manufacture date is the last 3 digits of the 57869 number, and is 1969.

-Chuck

steelandcanvas

As another example, my VIN is 04K-31171, or 1971 as the contract year, not necessarily the year in which it was produced. Some contracts were not fulfilled during their calendar year, allowing some vehicles to be in production the next year. I don't think you can get any closer to the production year than the numbers in your VIN. Close enough for registration purposes.:-D

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On some deuces it is easy. My '69 Kaiser/Jeep has an identification number on the data plate that starts: 04M-57869-XXX-XXXXX

The manufacture date is the last 3 digits of the 57869 number, and is 1969.

-Chuck
True, but that only works for trucks built between the mid '60s untill '72. In '72 they changed the numbering system and the year is no longer included in it.

In the '80s they changed the system again. On these trucks the year is the first two numbers.

Divemaster920

Banned
Just look on the Frame by the front of the drivers side tire. There will be the vin and frame heat treatment date. The actual contract date will probably(prolly) be 1 year earlier than the actual build date.

Last edited:

stumps

As another example, my VIN is 04K-31171, or 1971 as the contract year, not necessarily the year in which it was produced. Some contracts were not fulfilled during their calendar year, allowing some vehicles to be in production the next year. I don't think you can get any closer to the production year than the numbers in your VIN. Close enough for registration purposes.:-D
Mine has another separate space for the contract number. It is dated one year earlier than the date that is part of my VIN. In my case the contract number is DAAE-06-68-C-0007. I'm inclined to believe that the number that is part of the VIN is the actual build date. That is what I was told, anyway.

The date of the frame is not necessarily all that interesting. Manufacturers build things like frames up in advance... sometimes far in advance if an expected contract doesn't come through when it is expected to.

-Chuck

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Chuck,

You are correct in you assumption on the frames. Contract dates are just that, date of contract, not of build.

Others,

A registration number is not a VIN nor any part of the VIN. Folks are getting steered into thinking this with the end result being they will title and register their vehicles wrong.

stumps

Hi Carnac,

On my '69 Kaiser/Jeep deuce, the "Identification Number" is a 17 digit number composed of the registration number, and the serial number. I am certain that the entire 17 digit number is the correct number to give as the VIN.

What would not be correct is to give the 9 digit registration number that is the first half of the VIN. That number is not unique to any one vehicle, but rather tells information on the manufacturer, date of manufacture, and who knows what else....

Nor would it be correct to just give the 8 digit serial number, as VIN's are supposed to identify certain manufacturer information, as well as the serial number.

-Chuck

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Carnac,

On my '69 Kaiser/Jeep deuce, the "Identification Number" is a 17 digit number composed of the registration number, and the serial number. I am certain that the entire 17 digit number is the correct number to give as the VIN.

What would not be correct is to give the 9 digit registration number that is the first half of the VIN. That number is not unique to any one vehicle, but rather tells information on the manufacturer, date of manufacture, and who knows what else....

Nor would it be correct to just give the 8 digit serial number, as VIN's are supposed to identify certain manufacturer information, as well as the serial number.

-Chuck

You should trust CARNAC on this one Chuck, he knows what he's talking about. If you got your deuce from GL, I'm willing to bet money that when you get your SF-97 back, it's only going to have the 9 digit SN on the form...if you get a FL title it will be the same way. Mine was, and I had a heck of a time convincing the DMV that the military does it differently than civi cars and trucks...they insisted on copying the whole 17 digit number down when they did the out of state inspection on my truck, and that made matters even worse when it came time to title it in Ohio. Because the FL title didn't match the out of state inspection.

stumps

You should trust CARNAC on this one Chuck, he knows what he's talking about. If you got your deuce from GL, I'm willing to bet money that when you get your SF-97 back, it's only going to have the 9 digit SN on the form...if you get a FL title it will be the same way. Mine was, and I had a heck of a time convincing the DMV that the military does it differently than civi cars and trucks...they insisted on copying the whole 17 digit number down when they did the out of state inspection on my truck, and that made matters even worse when it came time to title it in Ohio. Because the FL title didn't match the out of state inspection.
You would lose, my SF97 has the whole 17 digit number, exactly as it appears on the ID plate.

If you remember, when you filled out the SF97 request, one of the fields you filled in was the VIN. That is the number that will appear everywhere on your SF97, and FLA title reassignment form.

-Chuck

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You would lose, my SF97 has the whole 17 digit number, exactly as it appears on the ID plate.

If you remember, when you filled out the SF97 request, one of the fields you filled in was the VIN. That is the number that will appear everywhere on your SF97, and FLA title reassignment form.

-Chuck
Adding that registration to the VIN would be like adding the tag number to the VIN on your car. You can put just about anything on the SF97 request and get back an SF97 with the numbers you chose. As far as law enforcement would be concerned it's only the numbers assigned by the factory, not numbers assigned by the DOD. As a former member of an auto theft task force, the frame number is the end all number assigned to the vehicle by the manufacturer.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Correct, the SF97 process is garbage in, garbage out.

As has been put on many times before on many different threads....

Registration numbers, while unique to a vehicle, can on very rare occasions be changed. Serial numbers cannot. There is no civilian equivalent to a military registration number except maybe a title number or a separate number on your registration card for your car.

VIN=Serial Number.

I don't know state laws. I do know military vehicle numbers and tracking.

thanks

CARNAC

stumps

Adding that registration to the VIN would be like adding the tag number to the VIN on your car. You can put just about anything on the SF97 request and get back an SF97 with the numbers you chose. As far as law enforcement would be concerned it's only the numbers assigned by the factory, not numbers assigned by the DOD. As a former member of an auto theft task force, the frame number is the end all number assigned to the vehicle by the manufacturer.
I have seen frame numbers stamped on commercial trucks, of the same vintage, that are just the serial number portion of the VIN.... [Commercial 17 digit VIN's are in two parts. The first 2/3's identifies the manufacturer, the engine, body style, brakes, weight, etc. And the last 6 digits are a sequential serial number for the vehicle.]

The ID number on my '69 Kaiser/Jeep is in a similar format. I would put probablity at around 99% that Kaiser/Jeep stamped and installed that plate.

I doubt any but a few LEO's would even know where to find the frame number on a deuce, and the identification plate on my deuce has the whole 17 digits in a row, labeled IDENTIFICATION NUMBER. I think I am in pretty good shape as to the number I used as my VIN. But I guess we will see...

-Chuck

stumps

I have a question for Carnac, or anyone that knows: There is a 17 digit identification number associated with my deuce, and presumably others are similar. The last 9 digits are composed of a 4 digit body code, and a 5 digit sequence, or serial number. The first 8 digits are apparently a registration number, which has been likened to a title number.

What does the registration number mean? How is it arrived at, and by whom? How is it decoded?

Where does it (or should it) appear on the truck?

Thanks!

-Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks