• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to obtain title for m1009 cucv

mrwoody

Hi, My friend 8 yrs ago, gave me his CUCV that he got from military surplus. It an 1983 cucv. I have had it stored for about 8 yrs because my HOA was hassling me about the vehicle. My friend had it for quite a long time, about 15 yrs. All I have is a bill of sale. Im looking to get it titled and registered in Nevada. I just spoke to the DMV today in regards to cost of titling it. It was never titled, since he drove it around inside an Airport. The DMV asked if he ever titled it, no, Have I titled it, no. So the DMV rep said I need to go to the district court and Petition For Ownership, for The United States Government Certificate To Obtain title For Vehicle. They also told me to contact my friend and ask if he has the original SF-97 form. I talked to him a few minutes ago. He doesn't know if he still had the form and he thought he put it in the glovebox when the vehicle was delivered to me. and said he will look through his files to see if he has any copies or any related Docs to that vehicle. I have no other Docs besides the bill of sale. Is there a way for me to get the title or do I have to Petition the Courts for a title like the DMV said to do. any info and advice would be greatly appreciated. Gabe

zout

Your asking legal advise on a web site ?

Your going to get replies from all over the US that has nothing to do with NV law of Code enforcement.

I am NOT an ATTORNEY or I would have to shoot myself. I do not want to represent myself giving legal advise or I would have to shoot myself.

Check locally with an attorney who can help you through the hoops.

mrwoody

understood, I just want to see if anyone has encountered this problem and how they resolved it. I know that ea. states laws differ, just want to get general knowledge. I read a thread also, don't know if it true or not but I know my buddy has had the truck since early 2000 and the thread said that vehicles bought before 2005 didn't come with sf-97 form. So I don't know if an SF-97 form even exist for the vehicle.

Skinny

Every place I have ever lived never required a title on something that old. I registered mine in ME with just a bill of sale. I had the govt paperwork but playing dumb typically gets you furthest at the DMV.

Now if they request a title or say the VIN has never been titled or registered, then you really need to go the legal way about it. Wait for Tue correct paperwork to come in the mail after applying for it or have a lawyer do the work.

K9Vic

Date of manufacture does not always indicate model year, the year is in the VIN. Generally August is the most common month where auto manufactures change model years.

Some states like Texas will do a bonded title and costs about $250 to get it. I have done them here in Texas on a M1009 and after the 3 year bond you can release it with no bond.

As for Nevada, I do not know but I found this post and it does not look good without a SF97.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?126736-Nevada-Titling-and-Registration

mrwoody

skinny, thanks for the info, my buddy never titled it when he got it, so im going to assume it was never titled at all, I will enquire more in person at the dmv, I know the reps on the phone can be pretty generic in their responses. i definitely want to get it done the legal way. I don't want anyone to misinterpret my post. no intention of shady bizness here. as a private military contractor I would not want to compromise everything I have worked up to at this point in my career for misleading info, let alone for a car. looking for a general starting point and a way to get this resolved. :)

Last edited:

mrwoody

K9vic, thanks for the thread. I called my insurance agent, since shes a broker and deals with numerous coverages and other agents. she did tell me she knew of someone who deals in military vehicle titling, so I will see hat info I can get from her in regards to the issue. If I have to petition the court, so be it, its just a matter of playing the waiting game. i got plenty of time, so no problem with that. I just didn't realize it would be this much of a hassle or I would have done long time ago.

mrwoody

UPDATE: I just did purchased a vin report, something like carfax. It had all the basic info but was never titled in any state I the US.Under model of the CUCV it said D10?

mrwoody

Carnac, I was looking at old threads where your offering to look up vin numbers. Im kinda new to the forum what is rule #8 Did I miss something?

mrwoody

Oh ok. I got it now. Sorry about that Brother. I just didn't know if you were still doing it or not. It said thread closed. Im just a liltle frustrated with all this new info I got in regards to obtaining the title. Please Accept my apologies.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a state specific issue.

If somebody has advice and either lives in NV or knows the NV vehicle titling laws, feel free to help the OP out.

Please don't post unless the info is NV specific.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only thing I know is have all the correct papers before going to the DMV ( title) ..get the vin insp paper ... insurance. ect ect but if they told you that route then do it if you buddy cant find a SF-97.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks