• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I need help with HMMWV 12-bolt wheels

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello everybody. This is my first post in the HMMWV forum and I need to request assistance.

I mounted 12-bolts on my CUCV and am having issues with the wheels losing air. I purchased 6 12-bolt wheels from a reputable SS vendor and media blasted them inside and out. I then primed and painted them, and purchased new O-rings and valve stems. The O-rings were stretched and then super-glued in place as they shrank to fit. All O-rings are seated correctly in the wheel grooves. I used the PVC inserts sold by another SS vendor, and mounted new BFG 37 12.5 16.5 tires. Everything is brand new and looks great. I mounted the tires according to directions and torques all the spanner bolts according to specs. But I am having problems with leak-downs. Just wondering what I did wrong. Thanks in advance for your comments.

RustyM923

Put some dish soap and water in a spray bottle and spray them down. You'll find your leak when you find the bubbles. Could be from anywhere.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
When I put the 5ton wheels back together I use the thickest O ring I can find and I use rtv with it to ensure a good seal. Once together I dont inflate for 24 hours to allow time to cure.
Will

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NOt sure using super glue was a good idea....I have mounted more tires on 12 and 24 bolt rims then I can count, I persoanlly use Grease or RTV to hold the o-ring in place during assy. As well, I use regular nuts on the studs till the o-ring is seated so as not to vibrate loose from the impact gun.
soapy water is the only way to find the leak....or dunk them I'm your pool or hot tub, pisses the wife off, but it's quick and easy.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks everybody for your comments. I used Super Glue because that was recommended by the vendor from which I purchased my O-rings. The O-rings that came with the re-furbish kit were all too small for the groove, so the vendor's instructions were to stretch the O-rings for a period of time and then glue them in place while they were shrinking to size. I am attaching the instructions that came with the O-rings. Question - where do you all purchase new O-rings and do they fit without stretching and using Super Glue?

Attachments

tage

I buy mine on EvilBay. 7.50$ each shipped. They aren't the Orange ones, but I use rtv and they hold air so far.
I'm going to guess you pinched your O ring.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I buy mine on EvilBay. 7.50$ each shipped. They aren't the Orange ones, but I use rtv and they hold air so far.
I'm going to guess you pinched your O ring.
Tage - how did you use the RTV? Did you run a bead in the groove and then set the O-ring into it? Did you add RTV on top of the O-ring to seal to the outer rim? Thanks.

tage

I lather it as you oil a normal o ring. I'm sure you can go over board with it, and still have a good seal. As mentioned, let it cure before you air them up.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have the old first series 12 bolt 2 piece, they use a larger balck o-ring I beleive...the newer 12 bolt with the centering hole and the 24 bolt rims take a smaller red o-ring.
dont confuse with the large o-ring used in the early 8 bolt split rim.

what color were your o-rings?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wheels are the newer version 12-bolts with the alignment hole in the inner and outer wheel halves. When I broke them apart they had the red O-rings. I believe my problem is probably that darn Super glue. I have ordered new O-rings and plan to break my wheels apart and clean the grooves, and install new O-rings with RTV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks