• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

If Not When Occured - Starter Relay

Vet89

Hello all,

I had all the parts for the Doghead Relay in my truck. Unfortunately, "when" happened. My starter relay got stuck. Fortunately, I had a pair of branch trimmers nearby and cut the battery cables.

I saw a wisp of smoke come from Gen 1 (alternator on the driver's side) and from someplace on the firewall. I now know that wisp of smoke came from the 12 volt junction block. This wire went from the alternator to the junction block and it was two wires spliced together (it has been replaced).

The wisp of smoke came from the little vent on top of Gen 1.

I did the doghead relay following directions here (http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/60960-doghead-starter-relay-modifcation.html) This worked like a champ and the pictures were right on; I had a color photo printed out and it matched to the letter. Thank you.

I got new group 31 batteries (the were sh** anyways), new cables, rewired things that looked spliced and hooked everything up.

Upon turning the key, the Gen 1 light did not come on. The starter did not turn over - no clicking, nada.

My guess and question is - I think I need the alternator rebuilt because the alternator would give juce to the starter - right?

I am guessing a wire in the alternator when kaput. It looks like a newer alternator also. I will get photos this evening.

***and the moral of the story is do the doghead relay change sooner than later - later is costly!

dependable

If you have good charged batteries, it should start regardless of alternator condition. The wisp of smoke near the junction box was probably a fuseable link. I would check that and the links attached to bus terminals behind the back battery.

Vet89

Dependable - nothing turns over, starter does not fire and the Gen 1 light is off (hope this helps as a description)

The smoke wisp came from a two wires crimped together. It was the wire from the alt to the junction box. I saw it melt while I cut the batt cables. Having removed it, the plastic melted where the wire was twisted together (and since replaced) with nice, new, wire.

dependable

The part that burned was a fuseable link. There are a few of them. Also, it is best to replace the link instead of using regular wire, so the next time there is an electrical 'event' you won't melt your wire harness. You may have fried the starter and or starter solenoid in original event.

Vet89

The part that burned was a fuseable link. There are a few of them. Also, it is best to replace the link instead of using regular wire, so the next time there is an electrical 'event' you won't melt your wire harness. You may have fried the starter and or starter solenoid in original event.
New territory for me, I don't even know what a fuseable link is. I will google this. Thank you!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks