• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Impact Drill for Removing Phillip Head Screw?

renovate7

I enjoyed a previous thread about dealing with all the phillip head screws on a Deuce. At the Florida SS Rally this past weekend someone used a battery impact drill to remove the phillip head's holding the fuel pump in. They were able to lean on it and tap the trigger a few times and the screws all came out easily. I looked at cordless impacts today at a big box and they were all 18v and over $200. If the person that had this reads this thread I'd like to know how many volt the drill was. The 18v are big and heavy and not easy to manuever. I put in a lot of doorknobs and have found a good 12v is lighter weight and has all the power I need.

Jake0147

I've spent WAY too much money on these stupid contraptions. My favorite is a 3/8 drive that'll do at least 100 pounds. More than that becomes too large and heavy of a body to be "handy" for general use, smaller and you might as well have an electric drill.

Voltage in these tools isn't really so much a factor in performance as it is in battery life. Volts is only half of the equation.

Currently I have an Ingersoll Rand 14.4 volt. I like it a lot. It'll do car tires OK but it won't break really rusted ones loose. It's great for many assembly/disassembly tasks. Before that (and before one of my co-workers borrowed it and left it on the back of the wrecker) I had a junk brand (Maybe?? Harbor freight?) 14.4 volt that was a bit louder (hard to believe), but performed just about the same.

3/8 drive hex bit adapterss are available, along with standard or larger hex bits that are robbed from the hammer type impact screwdriver kits and are a great addition to a 3/8 impact gun. And just when you get over how much these cordless impact guns cost, wait until you see somebody with a set of proper impact swivel sockets...

littlebob

I always use a hammer impact to remove the stuborn phillips screws. It doesen't work well if attachment threads are on something that may flex like the Fuel tank. If you are trying to to remove one with asolid backing, I would recommend it.
you can get them at harbor freight, sears or probably any hardware store.
littlebob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks