• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It died, HELP

hughscpa

I just pulled the pink duece into the parking lot from a short drive and it died. This is the first time it has ever happened. I did notice that it was a little harder to start the last couple of times I fired it up. About five seconds on the button instead of the normal one. It won't fire at all now. I had made a hard right turn in parking it and it just died. I can here the fuel pump running. Could it be the filters? They were changed about three months ago. Thanks for the help.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If it was running and died, yes, I would look at the filters first. Once it is running it doesn't NEED the intank pump but it helps. There is a part on the bottom of the intank pump that can fall off and render the pump useless. Let us know if the filters help or not.

dittle

Crack the line b/t the last secondary filter and the IP and then crank the truck. If you have fuel there you IP might be the problem.

Barrman

Turn the pump on, open the drain on the primary filter and let it go until it is clean of goo. then do the same with the secondary and final filter. If you get no flow at any point, figure out why.

A frowned upon way to start it might take 2 people. With a COLD engine, pull the intake mushroom. Have a helper hit the starter switch and once the engine is turning, spray some starter fluid toward the air intake. Not much though. Have the helper hold the pedal down about 1/2 to the floor. It should fire if you have any fuel at all getting to it. Do the filters first and you should be back to normal.

dittle

In addition to what Barrman said if you have an engine with the either start installed on it (like mine does) give that a shot as well. Do that as a last resort because if you don't have any fuel in the first place either isn't going to do much for you.

Snarky

I personally wouldn't use starting fluid, ether is a bit strong. I had problems getting my deuce to start the other day after a filter change. I put a little gasoline in the mushroom to assist in the starting process. The fumes are strong enough to help crank the engine.

SasquatchSanta

I don't think ether hurts 'em unless you give 'em so much they rattle. Both the multis I've had in my truck have been hard starters after they sit overnight. I don't mess around with prolonged cranking with the first start-up of the day anymore. I give it a "little" whiff with the ether shot and it takes right off. I think that's better than 15 to 20 seconds of cranking.

After the filters are checked and cleared it should pick up the fuel and take off with the help of a "little" ether even of the in-tank pump isn't working.

My money is on a filter problem, possibly an in-tank pump problem rather than an IP problem.

Good luck.

Engine5

Last month I had the same problem. I drove 5 miles, stopped for fuel as I had a half tank and she would not start up again. I gave her a quick blast of ether and started right up. I somehow had air in my fuel line according to my buddy who is a mechanic. I shot a bit of go go juice it purged it right out. But I do like the WD40 idea, less harsh. When we got it back to my home we fond a small leak in the fuel line, enough to suck in air and bind her up.

beaubeau

This is what I do with all my vehicles, Old Ones anyway. Take a Self drilling screw and a small O ring on the screw. Find the Lowest spot on fuel tank and screw it in. osen it to drain any Water, and Retighten it. Simplest way to remove water in tank, and save on your filtrs. Good luck. Phil

ETHOS

mine has been hard to start recently, i had to hold her half way to the floor and crank to get her to fire....... could be filters, they were recently changed...........

no fuel leaks..... i guess i will check the filters

hughscpa

Thanks guys. I will let you know if the filters are the problem or not. I will probably get to them on Monday. I am painting the elder abuse gun truck in the morning and have tickets to a ball game on Sunday. I sure hope it is just the filters. Should I try the ether before I put in new filters? I know I need to drain the crap from the filters first but then try the ether? Thanks again.

hughscpa

I stopped by the office last night to drain the primary fuel filter. It was dripping a little (never noticed that before). I opened it up and got very little fuel out of it and the fuel looked fine. Closed up the drain and hit the starter. It cranked for a while and then started. I let it run for a minute, shut it off, then restarted it. It started right away, no cranking. Do I need to do anything else? Should I still change the filters or just see what happens?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Problem with these fuel systems is you get any pinhole leak and the fuel will drain back to tank, making it hard to start.

That could have been enough of a hole to allow the fuel to drain back. I would take filters along but otherwise drive it and see if that corrected the problem. I always carry a spare set of filters anyway. :wink:

Last edited:

hughscpa

I think I have found the problem and it is something everyone should watch out for. My fuel guage lies to me about what I have in the tank!!!:doh: Thanks for all your help. From the IDIOT!

avengeusa

I think I have found the problem and it is something everyone should watch out for. My fuel guage lies to me about what I have in the tank!!!:doh: Thanks for all your help. From the IDIOT!
you owe me a keyboard, i just spewed my coffee out on it......

hughscpa

Now I'm starting to question them all. Do you think my speedometer is telling the truth and everyone on the interstate is going 50? I might be on to some type of conspiracy thing here.:twisted: