• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jumping out of gear

willysmd

Hi All
My M35A1 likes to jump out of reverse gear sometimes, anyone care to part with their knowledge as to why this may be happening, It is not all the time and it's only slow in reverse, thanks in advance

JDToumanian

Your reverse gear is worn, probably from people grinding it many times in the truck's past. I've taken transmissions apart that were popping out of reverse and the gear teeth were almost completely worn away!

I always bump a forward gear before putting the trans into first or reverse, it allows the synchros to stop any rotation going on in there so that you can put it into first or reverse (which are not synchronized) without grinding.

Mechanics have told me that once a trans starts popping out of gear, you should hold the stick in gear to prevent it from coming out, as allowing it to pop out under load speeds up the wear process dramatically.

On the bright side, these trannys are common, parts are plentiful and reasonably priced, no special tools besides a dial indicator are required to overhaul them, and the TM available for download right here on SS is very easy to follow.

Regards,
Jon

No.2Diesel

Guten Tag Doktor Fremde Liebe!!

Is there enough mine shaft space to allow prodigous breeding with a high female to male ratio and to prevent a mine shaft gap!?!?

Set your CRM-114 discriminator with the correct three letter code prefix.

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
Dr. Strangelove is right about the cause. However, trying to keep it from popping out by holding the shifter in is only going to further the damage. If you are capable of holding it and suffering the pops it is going to stress everything in the trans plus u-joints. If you don't fix the trans allow it to pop out and just put it back in gear. It will last longer that way.

JDToumanian

Set your CRM-114 discriminator with the correct three letter code prefix.
Wing Attack Plan R - YEEEEE Haawwww!!!

However, trying to keep it from popping out by holding the shifter in is only going to further the damage.....If you don't fix the trans allow it to pop out and just put it back in gear. It will last longer that way.
I'll concede that I have no direct physical evidence to support what I said, it's just something I remember being told... I had an old Toyota that popped out of gear in reverse and it was easy to prevent by simply resting my hand on the shifter, which I did (only in reverse) for years. My deuce's transfer case popped out of gear on deceleration until last week when I finished swapping it out, and I got into the habit of holding it in gear too. I never noticed any violent action that would cause drive-line damage, as opposed to letting it pop out which caused severe grinding due to the fact that the gears would not completely disengage. Could be best to let your trans pop out, but it will need work before long either way.

The TMs for the 3053 transmissions are TM 9-2520-246-34-1 and TM 9-2520-246-34P.
They are on the third page of TMs with the new way the TM page is set up.

Regards,
Jon