• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loading the deuce

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't care how many times you do it, one of the most nerve wracking experiences is that moment when the nose just keeps going up and up!

Loaded George yesterday to take to my buddy JB's shop where we are in the process of diagnosing and repairing the transmission issues (no overdrive and a mysterious "clunk" when I let off the clutch in reverse). (I will post a thread on that probably tomorrow.) While it's there we are going to PM it, oil change, check everything in preparation for the trip to the La rally.
IMG00219-20100517-1850.jpg
IMG00220-20100517-1854.jpg
IMG00221-20100517-1855.jpg
IMG00222-20100517-1855.jpg
IMG00223-20100517-1855.jpg
IMG00224-20100517-1855.jpg
IMG00225-20100517-1855.jpg
IMG00226-20100517-1922.jpg
IMG00227-20100517-1922.jpg

Last edited:

Billy Bobbed

When I use to mudbog I had to load a 79 Ford on 44s on a small car trailer.The windshield and side glass were covered with mud,not fun at all.Hope you get your truck fixed.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That up & up & up & up, really has the pucker factor going.
But you seem to have sufficient assistance.

That is a lot of trailer and with the deuce way over the rated load for that 350.
Good luck with the repairs and PMCS.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope that George has a painless and cost effective recovery!! Glad that you are home!! Looks like you had ample assistance. =) Keep us inform!
God bless!
Tony:D

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Love that 3 axle gooseneck! First I have ever seen. What's that like, 40,000 gvw?
I have found that when loading up, just line up, hold the wheel straight, have a ground guide, and let her climb on up there. Stopping half way is when things go wrong.

yetti96

It might be a F-450 they have a little bit more of a lip on the fender molding and usually different wheels and centercaps, but I think the one pictured was a 350.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck rating is....... more than enough. :deadhorse: I checked it before I ever thought about using it.

As far as the trailer, it is nice, but **very** hard to pull because of the length and triple axles. You have to give yourself plenty of room to turn and be smart about turning it.

And I know, there will be the busybodies who are going to whargglbarggll about the truck. It IS rated for the load, it has sufficient power to SAFELY pull the load and it has plenty of brakes to STOP the load. I also am a class "A" driver and am well aware of regulations and requirements for pulling a load this size. For those people, please enjoy your unlimited budget to hire tractor trailers to move your gear around and let us in on the secret to your financial success.

For everyone else, thank you for the good luck wishes and hopefully tonight I'll be posting a how to transmission replacement thread.

Snarky

The crappiest dual rear wheel ford gasser with the appropriate gearing is like 15000+ towing. Which ought to be plenty for a deuce, most likely this is a diesel rated at 18000+ or a 450 rated at 24000+.

emr

Like said ..NICE FORD !!! yeesh a Chevy....;)... do they make chevys heavy duty anymore, I thought they were all ranch trucks now a days... But reallly that is one nice set up, as for the P factor, I do not know why, but i get all excited loading stuff and really enjoy it, I dont get that feelin, just a little stupid I guess... But U sure have one nice set up !!!!

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes i too like the ford and the deuce even better.. i hope you can make the repairs and get to the rally in style . hope to see you there

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those people, please enjoy your unlimited budget to hire tractor trailers to move your gear around and let us in on the secret to your financial success.

Hahaha! Unlimited budget? I was about to ask you what your success was, I have to tow my deuces with a stiff rope!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks