• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Look! Door and a windshield frame

Barrman

I got the windshield frame painted and mounted on the truck Thursday night. Then had the painted drivers door on the truck Friday, but I couldn't get the outside handle to go all the way in. It is easier for me to work on something that isn't moving, so I pulled it back off the truck and took the latch assembly off.

Then figured out that it worked just fine. But, since I had to drill 3 of those stupid phillips head screws out, I got to scrounge around and find 3 replacements, paint them, wait for them to dry and then put the door back together. Only to not get it to work in the door again.

So, I went looking at all my other doors and started pulling latches off. I actually got pretty good at getting those things in and out of the door. But, after pulling 3 assemblies out that fit the drivers side, I figured out that the one I started out with worked just fine and put it back in. It even worked that time.

So, now I get to drive the truck for the very first time with a door on it and even a windshield frame too. Feels kind of weird to have all this stuff next to me and above me.

Other door, glass and maybe even a fender to follow in the next week or so.

Attachments

littlebob

RE: Re: RE: Look! Door and a windshield frame

Looking good Barrman! I was hoping I could keep up, but it is now out of the question. I just painted the door you brought me a week or two ago and got my
headlight stuff painted this weekend.
littlebob

Barrman

Yes it is a Gasser. 1952

Yes, I put the hood latches on like they were when I picked the truck up. I might turn them over since the latches scratch themselves up everytime I lower the hood.

I also figured out that the hood latches are different than the latches on top of the hood to hold the windshield frame down. I know, the TM shows a different number, but I figured it was something silly that was different. Well, the difference is the bend at the bottom of the latch. 90 degrees like the hood tie downs and all the flat fender Jeeps won't allow it to go up enough to hook into the hole on the windshield frame. I only have one that has the proper bend. I think a little playing with a torch might make another that matches.

How do you guys paint the shaft of the hood latches? The only idea I can come up with is to paint them extended on the truck with paper and tape to protect the rest of the truck from over spray.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wiper motors are mounted in the center of the multi's windows and slightly offset on gassers. :wink:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
hndrsonj said:
The wiper motors are mounted in the center of the multi's windows and slightly offset on gassers. :wink:
I was wondering what that was! I think I have a gasser frame.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks