• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Look! Door and a windshield frame

Barrman

All 3 of my Gasser windshield frames have the wiper in the middle of the drivers side and ofset on the passenger side. Here is the truck 2 weeks ago after I got the glass and front fenders on.

I lost all of last week with having to put a new clutch in the M715 and the weekend was full of a Cub Scout camp out. I hope to get back on the headlight mounts and engine side panels this week.

Oh, I installed the wiper arms and blades this morning. That really makes the truck look less naked than just about any other small parts I have put on yet.

Attachments

Bigmillman

Hey I like your truck! Nice restore. For anyone that cares... Use Napa gear and chain lube and squirt those stubborn arse screws. Let it sit for 5 minutes or so. Then take a quality perfect condition (Not dull or rounded) bolstered ( has a neck just under the handle) screwdriver, and give it a whack with a wacking stick (hammer/ballpeen) to shock the threads. CAREFULLY lean into the screwdriver and give it some torque. If no luck.. then get out your handy dandy impact screwdriver from Napa and give a whack while thinking about an ex-wife and it should give up the band. An old Lithuanian mechanic, that I used to work with, showed me that trick. I would never have thought to use chain lube for penatrating oil. It really works. Thanks Ludwig where ever the heck you are now.

Barrman

I have modified your steps above to this:

See phillips screw head and start thinking bad thoughts while I walk over to my 4th harbor freight impact driver in the last 3 months. ($4.00 with 3 exchanges so far at no cost.) Grab the biggest hammer I have that will fit the area the screw is in. Try to kill said driver with hammer. If the screw came loose, remove it. If it didn't, hit it again. Pick up the broken phillips bit pieces and see if the screw is loose yet. If not, get a torch and heat it real good after I sprayed Royal Purple penetrating oil all over it. Once everything cools down, hit it again. By this point, the screw is either going to come out or the phillips part is stripped to a circle. If it is someplace with room, like the top of the dash plate, I get out the mini cut off saw and cut a straight groove in it. Then the straight edge impact bit gets to remove it. If it is some place with no room like 28 out of 32 of the door hinge screws, it gets drilled out and tapped.

Window wiper motor location:

I got thinking about this the other day and looked at all of my frames and glass again. Both 1953 frames have the drivers motor centered and the passenger motor toward the middle of the truck. The 1952 frame has both motors offset to the middle. The 1972 frame has sides centered. I will look through my old 9-8022 manual again looking at the pictures at the front and see if I can find a pattern.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks