• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Look what we just picked up

Danger Ranger

Awesome. I like the body. What is that for? And why does the front fenders seem strange? Is it just me or what? I thought they were flush with the grille. An uparmored cab too. Nice score.

flighht2k5

Banned
Our unit just picked it up.
It's for maintenance. It has a compressor and tool boxes and a bunch of other cool toys on it.

KsM715

Awesome. I like the body. What is that for? And why does the front fenders seem strange? Is it just me or what? I thought they were flush with the grille. An uparmored cab too. Nice score.

Thats an updated version. The headlights are pushed out farther to make room for some engine upgrades.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are nice trucks. My old unit took some to Iraq with them. even for 12k trucks, they can move.

Also had some shelter variants with some heavy ass shelters on them in Korea. they were at the max frame capacity, could run and drive, but stopping was a bit iffy...

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My unit has the first ever in the Army HMMWV Contact truck back in 1997/8ish. Great trucks, alot of capability in a small package.

skywalker6582

Back about '94 or '95 I was the Chief of Scout/Cavalry modernization at the Armor Center and we worked with the Program Manager and O'Gara Hess to develop the initial up-armored HMMWVs. Did a user test versus the original HMMWVs both cross-country and Motor-trend style on the airfield and those 12K lb beasts actually outran the lighter originals due to the 6.5 Turbo vs 6.2 NA and the 4-speed electronic transmission vs TH400. Cross-country they would plow through things that the originals bounced over. Stopping was another matter. It was a trade-off of brake pad performace vs ball joint strength. The original pad design would rip the ball joints out in a panic stop, even after going to stronger ball joints. So we accepted a little less brake performance for better ball joint reliability. I sure am glad we convinced the Army to buy the initial 2,500 up-armored HMMWVs instead of shutting the HMMWV assembly line which was the plan at the time. I had to trade some other Scout programs for them, but it was worth it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks