• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking to put

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my unit markings from the Marine Corps on my deuce, but I have been hit in the head so much, lost so many brain cells since I got out (1993) I cannot remember what they looked like. (Plus I didn't care much while I was in). Anyone know where I can find unit markings from A Btry 1/12, 90's era? (I do remember the chevron mark from the desert, but that's about it)

FrankUSMC

Ken
Welcome aboard!!!
I called my friend tonight who was with 2/12 in the early 80s. Had him go into his photo albums. He had a few pictures of some trucks, but from what he told me of the markings I already knew.
During that time the Marines had a wierd unit marking system, I was always into military vehicles (collecting for over 25 years). I remember looking at our trucks and thinking the unit markings have NOTHING to do with our unit. My friend just told me that on the door of one of the trucks he could read 3115, his battery had nothing to do with those numbers. It was the same in my unit, the number that was on all our trucks had nothing to do with the unit. Also, I remember our unit marings were on the door, and right in the middle of the bumper (it was just a 4 diget number)
Today, that has changed. I always look at any Marine truck I get behind to see what unit it belongs to, and, YES, I do fill proud when I see my old unit.
The down part is, if you are looking to mark your truck up like it is marked now, no the Marines did not do that.
But, it is your truck, you are a Marine, so you can mark it any way you want. I am doing two trucks now as Marine trucks. There are a couple of guys here on SS with great looking Marine trucks.
PM me, so I can get your e-mail address and I will start sending you some stuff to help you.
Take care.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

littlebob

Welcome!
Glad to see another member in my neighborhood. I go up around Ft Polk, Breezy Hill and Camp Claiborne 1/2 dozen times combined a year to go dirt bike riding.
When I get mine finished I'd love to take my Deuce up to Camp Claiborne and explore all of the roads to nowhere up there.
littlebob

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have some impromtu rides around Camp Livingston (where the video was shot). Me and some friends are going out tomorrow night (they are all in pick ups and aren't quite sure how to take the deuce)... will have photos and vidoe Saturday or Sunday. PM me when you are on your way up sometime and we'll **git r did**

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having done an unscientific study, i.e. the original markings on my M813 and looking at every photo I can find on the internet of Marine trucks from the 80’s to the present, the most consistent thing about the markings is that they can be a bit inconsistent.

The things that do seem consistent are-
USMC on the left front bumper and somewhere on the left side on the back
USMC and the vehicle 6-digit ID number on the sides of the hood near the rear.
The unit number, example M21640, centered on both cab doors.
These markings are all 2” stencils.
The M in USMC is a different style than the M in the M21640 (I’m guessing precut stencils for the USMC?).
The tire pressure is done with 1" stencils and is the number followed by PSI. I haven’t seen any Marine trucks with Army/Air Force style ‘TP 60’ markings. (Doesn’t mean they aren’t out there, I just haven’t seen any).

The inconsistent part-
The right front bumper can have the M number only, the vehicle ID number only, or both one above the other.
The right rear often, but not always, has the vehicle number.
The M number is sometimes somewhere in the middle on the back (this one tends to roam a lot if it’s there at all).

Other than the M numbers, which are in some bizarre code that only FrankUSMC can interpret for us, I haven't seen much in the way of unit markings on the vehicles.

The pics are mostly of my truck and show what I am talking about. All markings are original, or copied exactly on areas I repainted. I have one weird marking- the drivers door has the normal style M21640 on it, but on the passenger door it is MT 21640, with the MT centered above the numbers. I haven’t seen that on any other vehicle. It also has a 1” 3 on the fender under the left front turn signal.

Hope some of this helps.

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rats!! Sorry, those markings are much clearer on my originals, didn't post so good. Anyway, you can just see the M21640 as a fuzzy patch in the center green on the drivers door, and the 60PSI on the edge of the fender above the tire (green letters on black on the left side, black on green on the right).

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My '68 M49A2C fuel tanker came from Camp Lejeune, NC with 4-color camo and numbers as described above. I'll dig up some photos from its first arrival home in 1995, meanwhile, here is an image of the hood and door stenciling now, same as original except there was a "frame" around the door number.
The number on the hood is the same as found on the data tag on the dash....

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Bjorn, I neglected to mention that, the 6-digit hood/bumper number is the data plate number on mine too.

My truck also came off Lejeune, in 2002.
I believe the 2 following the M on the door # may be for 2nd Mar Div. I was told that by a Motor T Marine a while back, and it fits with the numbers FrankUSMC has interpreted for us so far. From what I have seen, those numbers always start M1, M2, or M3. I haven't seen any M4xxx numbers for 4th Mar Div (Reserves), so do they just borrow trucks from active units? We did, but I was in an infantry unit again by then, we borrowed trucks from whomever's base we were on since all we owned were M151's and M880's (that dates me, doesn't it?). I don't remember if we had any door numbers on those.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw a picture of several 800/900 trucks in a row, the markings on the bumpers were not all alike. I have not been able to find a TM or other reference for Marine standards. There must be something. Maybe they have trouble finding it too, thats why the markings are inconsistent!

The vehicles tend to be very anonymous too, not much in the way of distinguishing markings. I have a small "8th Comm" stenciled in one of my doors, and have seen small plates on the grill of M813s with "Gun 2" and such. If anyone has any other markings, I would be interested to see them.

tjcouch

I also could use some help "encoding" my bumper . . . . through the generosity of Medlog I have learned that my truck was assigned to the 53rd Support Battalion, Headquarters and Headquarters Company in St. Pete, FL . . . . .

Seems I am missing some detail for stenciling the bumper - anyone a pro at this?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks