• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

loss of power and white smoke m1009

Ironsides

Bought the beast last year, I knew it was going to be a project for me, and have had some interesting malfunctions. For instance the rear diff grenading which is a story for another time. Now on to the meat of the post. It had sat for about 2 weeks as I was packing for a move, had just replaced the radiator, and was driving it to the new house when on start up it was billowing white smoke for about 5 minutes after which it cleared up. It had no real loss of power at that point. About 30 minutes into the drive, HD to get some more go juice for it and when I started it up same issue though this time it sputtered as it got up in rpms. And then again after about 2 to 3 minutes it cleared up and drove ok. This all happened i the rain . Started it up a day later and had no issues whatsoever with it smoking, but when I got it up in rpms sputtered again. I know I need new gps and am replacing them today, but would like some input as to what may be causing the smoke issue.

Barrman

Normally, white smoke which is pillow stuffing white means coolant is getting burned. It will have a smell like antifreeze. These 6.2 engines will put out an oily feeling dirty white smoke when they are cold. New working glow plugs (gps is not an abbreviation for glow plugs by the way.) with a healthy engine will normally get rid of that white smoke.

Since you had it after start up and warm up. I would suggest looking at the coolant. Is it loosing coolant? Why did you change the radiator, did it over heat recently? Do a cooling system pressure test with the engine cold if possible and that will tell you if you have a cracked head or leaking head gaskets.

Ironsides

Seemed to be water in the filter. I am changing the plugs now. I had to change the radiator because the previous owner beat it all to heck. It had a lot of small holes in it, and the front battery tie down wasn't tightened all the way causing th battery to touch the old radiator and it ate a hole in it. I am loosing coolant, but it is a slow leak and I think that I have found the source, the coolant recovery tank is cracked.

What is the correct abbreviation for glow plug?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks