• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Low Gear on Deuce

No.2Diesel

My 3053A is somewhat difficult to put in 2nd gear from a standing start. I have to push forward on the stick and bring the clutch up half way and it will engage. Worn syncro rings are probably the culprit.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Are you talking about 1st gear or low range? If it is 1st gear there is something wrong with the tranny if it is low range the linkage may be out of ajustment. Mine does both fine and I have not seen this problem unless there was damage to the truck.

acetomatoco

All you new deuce drivers must remember to start moving in first gear all the time...this business of starting in second and slipping the clutch will only buy you trouble.. And the folks with the sprag unit should remember the first/reverse and reverse/first is the only good way to reset the sprag for direction... If the xfer case is in question here, just remember that a quick snap of the lever is the best way to shift her...watch your fingers going from hi to lo...get underneath and look at the linkage, see all the places for slop and springiness....if the shift rods on the xfer are stuck use that brass hammer to get em out of the ball slot and cycle em 50 times or so with the lever, putting some OE on the exposed rod to lubricate the seal and the seat....ya gotta use em for em to work right... ACE Driving em since 1963 and have not blown anything up yet... probably 100 MSeries in that time....

No.2Diesel

YES SIR!!! :eek: MY THIRD GENERAL ORDER IS TO WALK MY POST FROM FLANK TO FLANK AND TAKE NO SHIT FROM ANY RANK!!! SIR!!! :eek:

I only start out in second when empty and in a straight line. Any type of turn from a start or load and I use 1st. I respect your advice and experience.

m35a2cowner

Won't go into gear

If its the transmission (as opposed to transfer case), one of the first (easy - no cost) things to check is the cluch adjustment. It the transmission is moving it might not want to go into first gear(hard to shift or grind) Does it go into 1st with the engine off? If it does (do this in large open area) put it into 1st with motor off. Start motor and if truck wants to move forward or the release point of the clutch is very low to the floor, try adjusting the clutch. Also a stucky or failing pilot bering will keep turning the transmission when the clutch is released. One other thing that might affect low gear is that the oil in the transmission is the wrong type or to thick. Did the problem begin in colder weather?

m35a2cowner

Low range

Does it not go into gear? Does it grind when you try to shift it into low range? Can you feel the shifter clicking as it goes into or out of the detent (notch like feel similar to shifting gears)?
Will it shift into low if the motor is not running? Please describe the condition bast you can, thanks.

acetomatoco

RE: Low range

I be betting the lever is hitting the floor before the transfer rod has completed its travel into low notch. Just needs a little adjustment and perhaps lubing of the linkage joints...take my advice from above and whack the end of the shift rod with your brass hammer to get it in once.. ACE

MilitaryRestoration

It's not hitting the floor and it does not grind...simply feels like it is butting up against something inside the xsfer case. Goes out of hi range to neutral but does not make it to low range. And it will not shift while motor is dead....I'm stumped on this one ;-)

rizzo

mu buddy had that problem had to take part of the case apart and found something was stopping it from going in. Can't remember the details. i can ask him tomorrow if you want

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: Low range

rizzo said:
mu buddy had that problem had to take part of the case apart and found something was stopping it from going in. Can't remember the details. i can ask him tomorrow if you want
I am curious what ever came of this... thanks

C

acetomatoco

RE: Re: RE: Low range

drove away in high range second slipping the clutch all the way..my scenario...what is that caramel smell.???

rizzo

Re: RE: Low range

clinto said:
rizzo said:
I am curious what ever came of this... thanks

C

I don't remember what happened now.

buddy_holly

I've had my Deuce for just a couple months and today some guy started telling me about my transfer case. Now I'm confused. First of all, the lever for the transfer case has three positions, correct? All the way up is high gear, where it has sat the whole time I've had it, then there's neutral and all the way down is low gear. Or am I way off? Have I been driving 5K miles in low 4WD?

Secondly, I was told to just start off in 2nd gear. I bought the army TMs and have been digesting them as quickly as possible and now I always start off in 1st but it won't go into 1st unless I'm completely stopped. Is that normal?

saddamsnightmare

May 4th, 2010.

GENERAL: An old Motor Pool Sgt. type character said the following words or something very similar to that effect, to me when I was learning to drive a farm tractor at 6 years of age (Actually, my old man and a USAAC ground crew chief/corporal on B-29's when I was knee high to nothing......):

"Private, Grind those gears one more time, and I'll PT you until your --- is sh---ing diamond cufflinks!"

Too many of us apparently have never driven large off road trucks, or large trucks with non syncromesh transmissions. IT is now time to take out your TM-10 and read the how to operate the M35A2 correctly. Starting in anything but 1st gear is a no-no, unless you are empty and on a down grade, then transfer low and gear shift "2" might work.... These are very heavy trucks by modern standards, their maintenance may not have been always perfect, and I'm pretty sure their drivers weren't either.:sad:
When starting under load or on a steep hill, it is adviseable to either split shift the truck up to road speed (EG: 1-L,1-H;2-l,2-H, etc untill you reach 5-H) alternatively you can go 1-L, 2-L,3-L, 4-L, 5-L, 4-H, 5-H to save all the split shifts coming up......:smile: Be glad that the deuce doesn't have a 3 speed rear end or transfer case, you'd love 15 gearsifts to get to road speed. Some civillian trucks have 29 or 30 gears depending on how they are intended to be used..... So get to KNOW your operator's manual, and drive like you gotta pair (L & H range),Private!!!!:D Your deuce will thank you.....fat lady sings Besides.... The transmission and clutch you may save will be your own...SMILE!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks