• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Low Mounted Headlights

littlebob

I'm trying to figure out why my DEUCE has the headlights mounted lower than most or if that will tell when it was made. The Data plate says "1972 Kaiser" but the number on the plate does not match the frame.

Attachments

littlebob

There is an extension on the flaps that is hinged. I never sent my Data Plate info to David because it was only four didgits. Once I started cleaning up the chassis, I finally found the ser#. The only bad thing is My title has the number on the data plate.

pistolnut

I had wondered about that too. I thought it might be specific to a manufacturer (such as AM General) but I guess not. Littlebob's truck is one of the only ones I've seen set up this way. Barrman's two gassers have the high mounted lights, but they are both winch trucks. My Kaiser is plenty old, and best that I can tell never had a winch but it has the high mounted lights. Is there a model year break?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the headlight doors were change in about 67 or 68. My 1969 M756A2 had the newer headlight doors. On the ones with the low headlights, the doors can be reconfigured to move the head lights to the high position if one wanted. Fenders get swapped so much that its difficult to use that one attribute to date a truck.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Kenny is right. Originally the headlights were mounted on a separate plate which was in turn mounted to the front panel view 6 rubber-cushioned studs. High mounted lights were used on winch trucks, low mounted lights on non-winch trucks. I don't have my notes with me about the date of this change.

However, Littlebob, I do have a lot of my SN info with me, if you wanna PM me your vin and or registration number I'll see what I can find for you.

Best wishes,
David

houdel

Interesting - I have a '70 Kaiser Jeep with high mounted headlights and a serial number beginning with 0539, which indicates a '70 Kaiser Jeep with winch. Mine was rebuilt at Toelle in 1989. I suspect the data plate was replaced because the current data plate states WO/W and has the proper NSN for a WO/W vehicle, but there was no model year manufactured stamped on the data plate, so I guess the winch was removed during the rebuild. Oh the tales these trucks could tell if they could only talk!

Crazyguyla

We has this discussion about SN one day at work a couple years back. One of the guys that had been in the Unit (NG) since the 70's stated that gasser dueces had their SN's on one side and when they went thru rebuild/repower. the old SN was stamped out and a new SN was issued(maybe stamped on the oppisite side).I have never been able to verify this. I was told that the unit had disposed of their last gassers late 80's early 90's. I like the NG, they let people hang around forever ;)

Crazyguyla

As for head light doors.. 9-2320-209-20P shows the old type headlight doors and 9-2320-361-20P show the new (high mount) headlight doors. My gasser has high mount (old style) and had a winch. Also, the old headlight buckets will not work with the new style headlight doors. Ask me how i know LOL

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
maccus said:
couple of questions for David D............as orignally manufactured..........when did they stop using the older style headlight doors?...........and when did they stop using the hinged rear mud flaps?............also when did they change the fenders to the newer style...........and while we are at it when did they change to the newer style of drivers seat?.........
I am still amassing the info on some of this - and some of this info I have. When I get home (later this week) I'll see what I can find out for you.

BTW, I got the CD - thank you very much!

Thanks,
David

houdel

Also, for what it is worth, my truck has only the last 5 digits of the serial number stamped on the left frame rail in front of the front axle. The "0539" prefix appears only on the data plate!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks