• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LUGNUTS

dm22630

Attachments

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
3/4" drive impact, and a 1 1/2 socket

I run mine off the emergency side air, but you have to let the air build up after each nut........lol

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Is that a 1/2" drive impact? I'd run them up snug and then double check with a "manual lug wrench" especially if your using the limited volume of air in the trucks tanks.

MilitaryRestoration

little off topic but close.. does anyone know where to get the lug nuts with the self locking collar built on them...I know the semi trucks are running them but they are a much much smaller stud size and I believe that the M977 are running them but can't seem to find any... anyone know of any or where I can find them at

DanMartin

I use that same Harborfreight one. It'll do 1500lbs/ft.

Note that you need 1/2" air line to make that work right. I've put together a glad hand with a large 1/2" air fitting, connected to the hose that goes to the impact. It's all about CFM with impacts, not just PSI.

Note that the torque on the budd caps is like 450lbs/ft, and the nuts are like 375. You'll need at least that to get them loose.

Jake0147

dm22630 said:
I want to keep an air-impact wrench in my deuce, so WHEN I get a flat or need to change a tire, it will be easier. I found a cheap one at lowes for 30 bucks.....and I think it said the torque was 300 or 350 ft lbs.

LINK -----> http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=232160-55451-LGA-1560A&lpage=none

Is this what I need?

Will it run off the deuces air lines in the rear?

What size socket do I need?

Thanks!
No, that isn't the gun for this. Understand that impact guns do not work the same way as torque wrenches (or regular wrenches for that matter). A gun that is rated at 300 pounds will deliver a hundred and fifty to two hundred pounds "in the real world", and be very adversely affected by rusted or less than perfect threads, and judging by the LOOKS of that gun, I think I can see that it's a cosmetic update of another one I'm familiar with, and that one is also by design adversely effected by the weight of the sockets being out of the "design range", performance is again reduced.

IMHO, look for an Ingersoll twin hammer designed gun in the 450 to 650 foot pound range. They come from 200 to a thousand or more pounds, lower is not enough, higher is not reliable due to silly torque coming from a smaller gun. Aluminum or titanium cases,several options on actual brand name... Watch the rating, not all are the same, but if you are in the 650 pound rated area, you'll find that they are a consistant performer with less than perfectly regulated air, and walk circles around many three quarters inch and several one inch air guns. Plus, it's half inch sized, it fits half inch sockets, handles easy for miscellaneous odd jobs besides tires...

Look for THIS design. (Just the design, NOT this model, it's just a first "hit" from google for the photo. You will have your choice of several brands). A few more dollars, (or a lot more dollars really) but money well spent versus thirty dollars worth of dissapointment. They fall right in the range of the 3/4 and one inch guns that DON'T perform, and well below the range of the 3/4 and one inch guns that DO perform.

Sockets? You'll want a one and one half inch socket for the outer and front nuts, a thirteen sixteenths square socket for the inner nuts, and a proper nut holder or a CAREFULLY used Reese trailer ball wrench (one and a half inch closed end wrench sold cheaply in the trailer hitch section...) to hold the outer nut still while you drive the inner nut through it, as you'll have to deal with that frequently by "impacting" them down instead of torqing, although by torqing you still need to be prepared, although you need not expect it every time. BTW, combination sockets are handy and quick when doing production work (hex and square in one), however they are useless in the "stuck together nuts" battle. If you can't have it both ways, keep a separate hex socket and square socket.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: LUGNUTS

Check out www.kentool.com for alternatives to air tools. They manufacture a wide range of tire service tools and their products have been supplied to military truck manufacturers for many years.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's something totally non-helpfull, but fun. Ingersoll 3-1/2 impact, adjustable to 80,000 lbs of torque! This thing could twist the whole truck in half.

I've used 1-1/2" impacts at work, they don't look much different. Takes two people to use the darn thing.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks