• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 No Start After Spin On Filter Fuel Filter Conversion and New Injection Pump

Thomas_G

Has anyone had a heck of a time getting fuel system bled after a replacing or converting to a spin on fuel filter?

1. Replaced injection pump and removed old OEM filter type for a spin on fuel filter.
2. Truck has a new mechanical lift pump.
3. Removed pink wire at pump and cranked, no fuel seep at loose injector line
4. Is it possible the sending unit in the tank is bad? I cannot get fuel it seems to the injector lines to bleed air out

My next step was to get a rubber bung and put 5 PSI in the fuel tank, has anyone had difficult time?

I put a lot of new parts into the truck cause i use it to tow my boat and am not looking to be stranded on side of road.

Gunzy

Try the air pressure and see what that does as that is how I primed my M923 after converting to a spin on filter.

CUCVLOVER

I have done the spin on filter set up.
We need a picture of the set up. Does it have a air bleeder made into head? If not you will need to remover the filter and fill it with diesel as best you can then try again. Also do you have fuel pressure going into your filter head?
I had several issues with my fuel System and I ended up having to put a primper bulb right where it leaves the tank. It made priming the system so easy.

Post 49 of this thread shows my spin on mod. It might be of some use to you I don't know.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...m1008-the-green-machine&p=1788285#post1788285

Thomas_G

I have a WIX 33109 which is a cross of Fleetguard FL105, i am using the same filter base as the link that was posted, i do not have a air bleed port but i did install a hose barb and pulled fuel out the port at filter base, problem is i think its not getting past the filter over to the injection pump? I poured fuel down intake and it would puff out the tail pipes wanting to start.

I am going to try putting PSI to the tank next?

CUCVLOVER

Ok it sounds like you are heading in the right direction.
Is the 1/4 in fuel line going to the injection pump kinked anywhere?
Did you replace that line?

Have you tried plugging the wire back in and starting the truck?
That pink wire is for the fuel shut off selonoid valve. If that vavle doesn't get power it won't open and fuel doesn't make it to the lines.
Do you hear the selonoid click if you unhook the wire turn the key ON then reattach the wire? You might have to clean the contacts and see if you can hear the click.

Thomas_G

I have new solenoid installed, and connected pink wire. no start (solenoid clicks)

I did replace the line to the IP from filter base (1/4),

I took top of IP off and installed clean filtered fuel into the top of the housing

Going to try putting pressure next, waiting on plug to arrive.

Chaski

Put the wire back on the injection pump. Pull your glow plugs and turn the engine over with the injector lines cracked loose until they are all dripping diesel. Tighten injection lines and turn over until you have a nice misty cloud of diesel puffing out of each glow plug hole. Install glow plugs, start truck

Thomas_G

well i was able to get the mist out of the cylinders, however still no fuel seep out fuel lines. This is odd. My first 6.2 in-depth repair but i have worked on Yellow engines for years and still can't this one resolved!

Going to try pressure in tank and maybe get a racor primer filter base set up? any ideas?

Chaski

well i was able to get the mist out of the cylinders, however still no fuel seep out fuel lines. This is odd. My first 6.2 in-depth repair but i have worked on Yellow engines for years and still can't this one resolved!

Going to try pressure in tank and maybe get a racor primer filter base set up? any ideas?

In your thread title you state you have a new injection pump. Is it new to you or was it rebuilt by a shop, tested on a bench and a known good pump? The fact that you are getting mist out of the injectors but cannot get diesel to drip with the injector lines cracked makes no sense whatsoever. How long are you cranking it over with the glow plugs out? Sometimes I have to turn over mine for several minutes to get it to prime up correctly (20 seconds at a time). It takes a while to pump enough fuel to fill the lines and get everything dripping wet.

Thomas_G

I totally agree, i am stumped myself, Pump was rebuilt i have ticket with flows.

I crank for about 25 seconds, stop, then crank again. Plugs are out

goldneagle

In your thread title you state you have a new injection pump. Is it new to you or was it rebuilt by a shop, tested on a bench and a known good pump? The fact that you are getting mist out of the injectors but cannot get diesel to drip with the injector lines cracked makes no sense whatsoever. How long are you cranking it over with the glow plugs out? Sometimes I have to turn over mine for several minutes to get it to prime up correctly (20 seconds at a time). It takes a while to pump enough fuel to fill the lines and get everything dripping wet.
Yep I had to do the same with mine. I thought that system would never prime! Make sure the batteries are fully charged and in good shape. They will get a workout priming the system.

On a side note: I added an inline electric fuel pump. Now each time I am waiting for the wait light to go out the fuel pump is pushing fuel through the system. Starts are a breeze now.

Hasdrubal

You get mist out of the glow plug holes..why not put the plugs and and see if it will light up. While I also pull the plugs when bleeding the system, I put a piece of cardboard along the inner fenders, shows the spray pattern of fuel coming out of the loosened injector lines. Can't remember if I had actual fuel dripping out of the lines. When all eight cylinders show a good wet pattern on the cardboard, put in plugs, tighten injector lines and it will fire. Makes clean up easier, too.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had same problem.

Pressurized tank a little and bingo! Fuel flowing again

Engine started right up after that.

Thomas_G

Well i did get it figured out and i had a massive air pocket, what i had to do is put a electric pump from a gallon can, crack the filter base, crank engine, then crack lines. I may have to adjust timing a tad, i get a little white smoke out driver side pipe and not the passenger, but could be possible injector weak,

I'm still thinking on putting a one way check valve to bleed off.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas and lesson learned.... prime the daylights out of the system!

Keith_J

I've heard guys have used a Mity-Vac pump to bleed up to the filter base, might get one and try it.
Yes, with the stock filter, just pull a vacuum until you get fuel. No pink wire disconnect, no starter or battery abuse. The stock filter is better as it has fuel warmer, water separator, water warning and two stages of filtration. The only issue is a few o-rings which like any rubber part, get old.

Thomas_G

Well i took the truck around the block a few times and let it sit over night, started and then all of the sudden like it ran out of fuel laterand now it looks like it loses prime. I triple checked all lines no leaks but crank and crank syndrome. Is it possible that the return line check valve on the top of IP can be bad? I do not want to use the Ether-bunny trying to start it.

I am seriously contemplating putting on a Racor 490r on with priming system. Is it possible for anyone who put an electric pump on to send me the model used with pictures of location of installation?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks