• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 No start. Starter smoke.

CitgoCUCV86

Hello. My name is Phil, I'm a relatively new owner of a 86' M1008. This is my first post, mainly because the information here is great and I haven't had to ask any questions. I realize the answer to my question is probably in the TM's, but I'm still trying to make sense of them and practice makes perfect. But anyway, any help would be appreciated. I went to start the truck this morning, all lights worked fine along with the wait light. So I cycled the plugs a couple times and then as I turned the key, nothing. Starter didnt even try to turn the motor. I tried a couple times with no results. I got out and started looking around to see what I could find. That's when I smelled the smoke. I looked under the truck and there was smoke coming from the starter and from a hole on the bottom of the bellhousing. I've already replaced the starter relay twice, so I grabbed it and pulled it apart thinking it could be a cause. It was very hot, along with the wires running to it. So in the end, I don't really know where to start. Any help would be appreciate greatly. Thank you.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If there is smoke coming out of the bellhousing and the starter, then more than likely the starter has burned up. Time to remove it and have it checked out.

You say you have replaced the starter relay a couple of times. What did you replace it with? a stock unit? The stock relays are a known weak point in the system. We recommend you replace it with a heavy duty type. One of our moderators (doghead) published a solution a few years ago. We call it the Doghead Relay upgrade.

You will find it in the the CUCV forum as a sticky.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?60960-doghead-starter-relay-modifcation
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?70846-Poll-Who-has-done-the-Dodhead-Relay-Conversion

Last edited:

CitgoCUCV86

Alright, thanks. So what made the starter burn up though? I drove the truck about 5 hours prior to this happening. Seems random. I replaced the stock unit twice because I didn't know any better at the time. I have the napa relay on order as we speak. Thank you.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The stock starter relay started its life as an A/C relay. It is not heavy duty. What happens is the contacts burn, the coil over heats or spring weakens. The relay will fail in the off or on position. If the relay fails in the on position, because of the wiring design, 24v is sent to the starter solenoid at all times. The truck can start cranking all by itself.

If you do not notice it the starter gets red hot, wires start melting and usually the fusible links blow.

What might have happened in you case is the relay stuck on as you where driving. Allowing the starter to run unnoticed. Did that happen? Who knows for sure.

CitgoCUCV86

I see. Makes sense. Thanks for your help. I pulled the starter on my lunch break, smells like a burnt electrical nightmare. So I'm trying to track down a new one now. Hopefully I didn't burn a fusible link. Thanks for all your help.

Barrman

Rebuilding it yourself might be a better option. Search for Delco 27MT rebuild kits and you will find a bunch out there. 28MT if you have the redux version. Make sure you buy 24 volt brushes though. Everything else is the same as 12 volt. I did one a few months ago and I think it was less than $40 for all the parts. The -20 or maybe the -34 engine manual has a great step by step on how to do it and what to check for.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks