• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 CUCV 24V No Start

BostonPatriot28

This is my daily driver a 1985 M1009 CUCV I have made the following modifications to it
1) Replaced batteries 6TL to series Napa Commercial group 31
2) Rebuilt Starter
3) Rebuilt 1 Alternator other came with truck (charging as it should)
4) Truck came with side pipes angles out rear driver/passenger door

I have not done these yet:
1) Have not replaced glow plugs (I hear it click when ignition is turned on)
2) Have not replaced glow plug controller
3) Fuel Filter has not been replaced or modified yet
4) Havent touched the Injectors yet

It has always started it does smoke a little bit when it first starts up. I'm not sure if this is related to the engine but on the way back from my trip in Maine on the back tailgate was covered in a oily dirty sludge? I'm thinking a sticky injector? This is my first diesel besides my M35 I tried looking up other threads but I wanted to explain what my vehicle is doing. I had a small transmission leak coming from the pan that was fixed when I arrived home.

Last edited:

cpf240

So, what is it doing? Does it crank? GP system still using the 24v source, or converted to 12v source?

First of all, I would suggest is to make sure the batteries have a full charge and have them load tested.
Second, use the GP system trouble shooting guide in the TMs to verify that the GP system is working correctly.

As to the oil on the tailgate, mine was doing that, and it turned out to be a small leak at the transmission drain plug. I would look over the trans and transfer case for leaks, even small ones.

BostonPatriot28

I got it started! It was cranking over however is it possible I let the tank get too low and dirt got in the way of the filter? I added more fuel (already had 5+ gallons in tank) and after a few seconds it started. The diesel was only a few days old so it wasn't sitting for very long at all. I will check on the GP system though and make sure it's working correctly! I'll check for any leaks,thanks for the information.

Keith_J

Have someone watch exhaust pipes while cranking, or adjust mirrors so you can see them. White smoke means fuel is being injected, without operating glow plugs, ignition is difficult but possible, with enough cranking in warm weather.

BostonPatriot28

Fuel gauges in MVs like to lie to you. Never trust them. ;-)
I agree Warthog, I actually go by mileage. My MV gets 25 mpg @ 55mph and around town 20mpg. I need to get a new float for the tank thats for sure!

Have someone watch exhaust pipes while cranking, or adjust mirrors so you can see them. White smoke means fuel is being injected, without operating glow plugs, ignition is difficult but possible, with enough cranking in warm weather.
When the truck starts up it is white barely visible. The more I thought about it the truck was on a small hill and it could have set the diesel away from the pump being a 27 gallon tank.

Last edited: