• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 rear axle play

optitrader66

I was doing brake job on my 84 m1009 and noticed my rear axles had play in them ,they both will move up and down 1/4 '' when i apply preasure to the end of axles where the wheel studs are. I have been driving it for 2 years and no wierd sounds or fluid leaking from rear , just a little play . Is this something normal or something bad waiting to happen?
Thanks

4bogginchevys

that play seems excessive, maybe dirty fluid wore down the bearings/races at the ends of the tubes, i'd put new bearings/races in it. Because it's a c-clip axle it's not really that unsafe2cents

acmunro

I would put some new rear wheel bearings in it. If you pull the axles and they are damaged you can get offset bearings that fit the bearing at an undamaged area of the axle. And the seal is built into the bearing. I've used them before on an old Camaro and a civi 82 K-10 truck I have. Both of those vehicles were nearly at 200,000 miles. Worked good and made for a more quiet ride.

91W350

Up and down or in and out? Like Boggins said, these are C clip retained axles. The axles are retained by a C clip in the differential. I think you will find if you rock about an rear wheel drive Chevrolet smaller than a half ton back and forth, like pushing and pulling on the bed rail or rear bumper, you will get that movement and hear an audible clunk when the clip bottoms out. The clip keeps the axle in the housing and the center pin in the differential keeps them from going too far in. It is not unusual to get 1/4 to 3/8ths lateral movement. Glen

stampy

That explains the clunk I get sometimes when I stop fast! And this is OK... I always feel like the front stops before the rear does...if that makes any sense.:confused: