• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 Axles on Dodge M880

Westech

CPL
bolt in.. (might have to move spring pads) only thing is do you have a full time T case? I do not know a ton about the full time cases but I dont know if they will work correct of you free spin the front.

DokWatson

Sounds like a full time 4x4, NP203. All tires get power, but in HIGH the front and rear axle still act independently from each other. They are free to turn at different speeds when cornering. The LOCK position locks both axles together through a differential in the transfer case and acts the same way a regular locker would, all wheels turn the same speed.

Its a little different if you have manual hubs, then it might have a part time conversion and acts a little differently because you gain 2 High.

Obviously low/high is difference in gear reduction, but you probably got that part.

Last edited:

Patrickmtrs

Can I safely use the NP203 t case with an M1028 front axle with the lock out hubs?

More importantly, will the axle's line up properly without too much fuss?

CAPSARME

In my old 880, with the front drive shaft out you had to run it in high lock or low lock to get the truck to move. I only did this for a few days until I got a new front shaft. Not sure how it would work out long term.

Alredneck

Banned
With the manual hubs on, the wheels would spin independently of the axle shafts but with the NP203 in the dodge you would still be turning the axle shaft while going down the road defeating in gain in MPG from the lockouts / rotating mass and wear and tear of components.

Why would you want to switch is my question the M880 has a Dana60 rear which is just as strong as the 14bolt. THe fronts are either Dana44HDs or Dana60s I dont remember. But if its a 60 then its equal to the chevy 60. If its a Dana44HD then it still plenty strong depending on what tire size you plan on running and if you would be using a front locker.

Also dodge and chevy used different steering arms so those would have to be swapped.

Patrickmtrs

I would like to have the 4:56 gears, and the added bonus of the front no-spin Dana 60 front axle from the M1028. The stock M880 has a non-locker rear Dana 60 and a Dana 44 in front.

jimmy-90

I used to have a 77 chevy blazer that had a NP203 t-case in it. The guy that had it before me tore the front axle out from under the truck on a boulder or stump or something and replaced it with a dana44 out of another truck that had locking hubs. It worked the way it was supposed to with the hubs locked all the time. If i unlocked the hubs it seemed to work fine that way too in H lock. With the front hubs unlocked I noticed that I could make it do a massive burnout with the souped up 400ci smallblock motor that was in it. LOL I had that truck between the ages of 17-21 or 22. Im 36 now and have settled down alot since then. Also as far as I now the M880 has a 1/2 ton open diff front end...no limited slip. If I had a set of spare 1028 axles I would put them in that thing. On top of that you could also take the range box off of your np203 and add it to a np205 and make a doubler later on if you wanted. All those things would make for a pretty mean trail machine. I may have mellowed out a little with age but if I had a 318ci gas motor with 4.56 gears I would also add an aluminum manifold with a 4 barrel carb. Probly some headers too if they would fit.

Last edited:
The M880 should have the Dana 44HD. the conversion kit should make it operate the same way as the CUCV's do. but if you have access to the axles, can you get the Chevy transfercase also? it would probably be cheaper and easier in the long run to swap it at the same time as the axles. and a t/c swap can be a pain, but you have to pull the old one anyway to convert it to part-time(if i remember correctly. its been over 15yrs. since i looked into the kit for my 78 Power Wagon and 78 Ramcharger). just a thought. i love the M880s, and will own another Power Wagon or Ramcharger from that era someday. we thought about getting an ambulance from that era. the only thing that stopped me was the full-time 4x4 issue, and if i was going gas i wanted at least a 360 without having to do a motor swap. but i still love them, and may get an M880 one of these days just to drive locally and maybe do a little trail running with(while you can still find them cheap). n btw, PICS PLEASE!!

MatthewH

As for the front axle, there is only a 1/2 inch difference in spring perch width between the dodge and chevy axles, chevy being wider. As for the back i'm not sure, but easily changed if need be.
The t-case is a different story. with the truck in high or low, it gives power to the axle with the least resistance, so with the front hubs disengaged, or only one drive shaft, the truck wont move. With the case in high lock or low lock, then it's like any other t-case in 4wd and it will move.
Also, last time i checked, there wasn't a part time kit for dodge Np203 offered anymore, and they are different from the chevy/ford cases, so there kits won't work. That may have changed, as i last checked a couple years ago.
Hope this helps with your project
MatthewH

mf5129

a stock m880 has 4.10 ratio.you will gain little by this swap.a 44 is easily upgraded if necessary.and plenty strong for a weak gas 318.ive owned these dodges for 30 years.the 60 is also easily upgraded.a cummins swap and you might need them.your transmission is the weakest part.but cheap to fix.i have two m1031s with this axle setup.they arent any better overall than a m880.the 205 transfercase and turbo 400 are the best parts.4.56 are slow on the highway.my 1990 cummins is the real truck.far superior in nearly every area.but a m1031 is very handy to have around.

nattieleather

For the amount of hassle it isn't worth the effort. The Dana 44F or 44HD used on the M800 is from my research a Dana 60 housing with a Dana 44 guts. So the housing is as strong as the CUCV axle. The Dana 60 rear is as good if not better than the GM 14 bolt. Plus I would think that you would need to change to an NP 205 to get any bennifit from the free wheeling hubs. Plus as stated the difference between 4.10 and 4.56 is so little that your not going to see any noticable performance offroad. Having owned both a M880 and a M1028 the M880 IMHO perfomred better off road than the M1028 did. Just my $.02 worth.

DokWatson

For the amount of hassle it isn't worth the effort. The Dana 44F or 44HD used on the M800 is from my research a Dana 60 housing with a Dana 44 guts. So the housing is as strong as the CUCV axle. The Dana 60 rear is as good if not better than the GM 14 bolt. Plus I would think that you would need to change to an NP 205 to get any bennifit from the free wheeling hubs. Plus as stated the difference between 4.10 and 4.56 is so little that your not going to see any noticable performance offroad. Having owned both a M880 and a M1028 the M880 IMHO perfomred better off road than the M1028 did. Just my $.02 worth.
A Dana 60 is not stronger than a 10.5 14 bolt. Everything in the 14 bolt is physically larger than the Dana 60, no idea what you are talking about. And all he would need is a part time conversion kit like I said before.

http://www.jeeperz-creeperz.com/man...-parttime-conversion-dodge-np203-p-37718.html

Last edited:

kevin-m1008

Lets compare general specifications of the Dana 44, Dana 60 and GM 14 bolt. By way of Wiki. I think you will know which is stronger at least from the factory, also knowing that all of them are upgradable if needed.
General specifications Dana 44

• Ring Gear measures 8.5 inches (216 mm)
  • OEM Inner axle shaft spline counts are 10, 19, 30, 32, 33 and 35
  • Pinion shaft diameter: 1.375"
  • Pinion shaft splines: 26
  • Gear ratios range from 2.72:1 to 5.89:1
  • Carrier break: 2.72:1 - 3.73:1 and 3.92 - 5.89:1
  • Axle Shaft diameter
    • 1.18” Front (30 Spline)
    • 1.18” Rear (30 Spline)
  • Axle spline diameter
    • 1.31” Front (30 Spline)
    • 1.31” Rear (30 Spline)

General specifications Dana 60

• Ring gear measures 9-3/4".
  • 3.125" diameter axle tube.
  • Weighs in near 500lbs. More or less depending on width and brake configurations.
  • OEM Inner axle shaft spline counts are 16, 30, 32, and 35.
  • 40 Spline inner axle shafts and carriers are made for after market, high performance Dana 60 axles.
  • Pinion shaft diameter: 1.625"
  • Pinion shaft splines: 10 and 29
  • Gear ratios: 3.31:1 - 7.17:1
  • Carrier break: 3.31:1 - 4.10:1 and 4.56:1 - 7.17:1
  • Axle Shaft diameter
    • 1.41” Front (35 Spline)
    • 1.46” Rear (35 Spline)
  • Axle spline diameter
    • 1.50” Front (35 Spline)
    • 1.50” Rear (35 Spline)
  • 1480 Universal Joint (Front axle)

General specifications 14 bolt

• 10.5” diameter ring gear
  • Axles are 30 spline axles
  • 1.590” diameter shank on the pinion
  • Gear ratios: 3.21, 3.42, 3.73, 4.10, 4.56, 4.88, 5.13, and 5.38
  • Carrier break: 3.21:1 - 4.11:1 and 4:56 - 5.38
  • 1.50” axle spline diameter
  • 1.34” axle shaft diameter
  • Axles are different lengths from side to side
  • Pinion supported with bearings on both sides of the teeth which minimizes pinion deflection
  • Removable pinion support
  • Weight: 550 pounds (250 kg)
The 10.5” Corporate 14 bolt differential has been used in Chevrolet and GMC trucks and vans since 1973.

The 14 bolt are everywhere and cheap!

YMMV

Alredneck

Banned
A D60 is plenty strong, dont believe it look at all the trucks Ford, Dodge, and Chevy among others put them under!

The main point here is, there is no real advantage to doing this swap with the OPs intended build plan. The stock components will work just fine and live up to the abuse he is planing on putting it through!. If he still desires to do the swap it can be done. It would not be as cheap as just adding lockers ( lockrights frt n rear would be easy ) and going out to play. THe cost of lockers vs time and money collecting components for the swap is what needs to be considered. If the parts are just lying around and time is irrelevant then do what ya want!

4.10s vs 4.56s no real world difference!
T-case, needs a kit to make work. NP208 from Chevy wont bolt to Dodge tranny. Doubler is a good idea if ya got the mulla!

jimmy-90

A Dana 60 is not stronger than a 10.5 14 bolt. Everything in the 14 bolt is physically larger than the Dana 60, no idea what you are talking about. And all he would need is a part time conversion kit like I said before.

Mile Marker: 602 - Part-Time Conversion Kit, Dodge Np203
He shouldn't need a part time conversion kit for the np203. Useing manually locking hubs is a part time conversion. I ran my np203 for years with the t-case in high lock and the front hubs unlocked. It stood up to many big smoky burnouts that way with no problem. Wish I would have kept the np203 out of that old truck then I could have built a doubler. LOL back before people were building doublers the np203's were considered big clunky boat anchors.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks