• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 Sputters and Dies, Wont Restart

Corvette1974

Hello.

Today I went to start my M1028 when it was 5 degrees F outside, it started and ran fine for about 10 minutes while I drove it to my friend house. Upon arriving, I let it idle for about 5 more minutes. During this time, the truck sputtered and died. I am no unable to restart it.

Being that it started and ran/drove, it is not a glow plug issue I would assume. I haven't checked anything else out other than that there is fuel in the bottom drain on the fuel filter. The engine is still hot and wont restart.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be and what steps to follow to diagnose this?

Never had an issue with the truck before since I got it. I know I need to check the 12v pink wire at the IP, and check the top bleeder on the fuel filter for fuel when cranking. Other than this, what could this be?

Thanks,
Will

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spry some WD in the intake while somebody cranks it , if it fires it is most likely a FUEL issue , how is your filter and your fuel ? you might need a container of 911 .

Corvette1974

Will do. I think its definitely a fuel issue. Like I said it just died and there's no white smoke while cranking.

The filter has about 8000 miles on it. Diesel fuel is about three weeks old. Quarter tank.

Hasdrubal

Since it was hot and running, perhaps your IP solenoid has failed. You can check it by having the ignition on, removing the pink IP wire and reconnecting it. You should hear it click. You said it had fuel from the filter drain, I would have checked the filter bleed at top with a clear line, so you could see if there were any bubbles. You could remove the IP top cover and see if its full of fuel. It could be that you've developed a leak somewhere that's allowed air into the lines, never heard of it happening while the engine has been running. But its possible. You might have to bleed the injectors, to get it running.

Corvette1974

Good news! IP had power, I bled the fuel system with the top filter bleeder. It started to sputter to life, and I closed the bleeder and it ran with an idle fluctuation for a few seconds then ran fine. I'm going to get a new fuel filter - the one in there was put in by the original owner at 33000 miles, it now has 40000 but it was put in in 2008 so it is pretty old.

What could cause this air leak problem? Is the filter base? How could I got about fixing/identifying this?

Will

Corvette1974

I replaced the fuel filter. It was extremely easy and I soaked the new one in fresh diesel and withing 15 seconds of cranking it was bled and fired right up. I also drove it about 1 hour before the filter change and it ran fine. But I did notice one thing..... When I bled it on the old filter, there was a fuel dribble coming out of the bleeder line. After the new filter was installed, there was a powerful jet coming out of the bleeder tube. I think the old filter was clogged this whole time, and the lift pump is ok. I will be replacing it in the coming days however, just to bring the fuel system up to snuff.

The Power Service winter kind additive was added too.

So far all is good. I'll report back if any more developments pop up related to this.

Thanks for all of the help!

Will

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks