• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M185A3 Parking/Emergency Brake Issue...

archmark

Attached are pictures of the parking/emergency brake handle on my '66 M185A3. After reading prior posts on the forum, I'm thinking that this handle is the "early" style. What I'm not sure of is if there anything missing from it, like a cylindrical adjusting cover over the cable stem and bolt similar to the "late" style handles used to turn to adjust the brake tension or is this it? If this is in fact the complete assembly, do you simply adjust the nut until the brake holds or do I need to get under the truck and adjust the tension at the "drum"? Or should I just can this assembly and install one of the "late" style handles and cable, which appear to be a lot simpler?

Thanks...

Mark
IMG_1426.jpgIMG_1427.jpgIMG_1428.jpg

RAYZER

Looks like your out of threads for adjustment.
Back off the nut on top and tighten up underneath, then fine tune from the top.
Personally I like the old style handle better.
Your handle assembly looks complete.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The old style handle is shown and adjustment explained well in, T M 9 - 2 3 2 0 - 2 0 9 - 2 0 - 3 - 2 , chapter 13

Jeepsinker

If you decide to $hitcan the old style handle you will have to replace the cable with the new style as well. I prefer the new style myself as it feels like it locks more positively and you can tell if it needs adjustment by the feel of it.

archmark

That's exactly what I thought that I'd do, IF it ever stops raining here. I'm kinda surprised that when the truck was rebuilt in '89 that Uncle Sucker didn't replace the old style assembly with the new assembly, as it seems that there is LOTS of the new style parts and pieces around but I've yet to see a NOS 'old style cable for sale. Of course, unless the cable actually broke, I can't see where there'd ever be a reason to replace it. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Looks like your out of threads for adjustment.
Back off the nut on top and tighten up underneath, then fine tune from the top.
Personally I like the old style handle better.
Your handle assembly looks complete.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In general, trucks with old style box seats did not get updated to the new style parking brake lever.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I liked my "whale tail" parking brake lever on the M109 better than the new style parking handle in my m35. It isn't as easy to knock it off while getting in/out of the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks