• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M342A2 (M59) Ops Questions.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks with tippers, got a few questions fer ya! Today after hours of intensiive labor (OK, 5 minutes maybe) I was able to light the old M59. Of course I didn't even bother trying to move it under it's own power, I was more interested in that dump bed. Pushed the clutch in, moved the dump control all the way fwd and let up the clutch. The bed went up smooth as silk. So after playing with it for a while I put it all the way up, or at least near vertical. It never stopped so I did. I shut the truck down and got a few pics. Here's my questions. I never started the truck again. I dropped the dump lever back to lower the bed and it wouldn't move. I'd say it was over centered and had more weight aft the pivot point. When these things are running, do they power down or float only? If they float only, I need to build a stop of some sorts. I had to swing the crane around to give it a little push. Secondly, is there a stop at all on the hydraulics when raising it? Check out the pics, it was nearly vertical. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well welcome to the site. Like we tell all the newbies (Kenny) read the manuals they are free to download!:-D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oddly, I read the entire section prior to asking my question. Neither answer was in there. Hmmm, perhaps I'll go in search of my 8022 to see if it addresses my issues.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a manual I got from Maccus that has it in there. I believe it was either the 8022 or 8023. I am pretty sure the M342 is power down. I would have to assume the M47/M59 are too but that's a guess.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well welcome to the site. Like we tell all the newbies (Kenny) read the manuals they are free to download!:-D
I think this is the best thing I have read this year.

rofl

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Kenny, you should be careful someone might decide that cargo doesn't match and throw some yellow paint on it when you are not looking.

Wild Horse Hans

I thought I read in the manual that it was 4 position. up, neutral,gravity down and power down. I read this in the M35 series truck manual.

Nope, I was wrong. All the way up is safety and lock, one click down from that is down, one more is hold, and all the way down is raise.

Last edited:

98hd

Yup, it does go over the center point, and there is a power down.

Mine will keep going up and the cylinder will stop, kind of like their is a bypass internally when it tops out, I can actually see the bed float away from the cylinder end a little (I have some play in the cylinder end and the bar inside it.

Once it gets down past the center point it will float down.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, thanks for the responses folks. I did finally find my TM 9-8022 and confirmed in black and yellow (Book is so old the paper is yellow) that position "B" is powered down. Starting to really like this old truck. The 8022 is very concise and detailed on the systems operation.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No not yet. I really want to bring it home but I'm in the dog house with the War Dept over the 2 trucks that showed up after she returned from Iraq. Exploring other possibilities right now. I'll keep you posted. I will still probably need to hire your service on a Saturday to get that dang bed down though.

zak

No problem and remember that you can store it here if need be. We are all in the same boat. Ijust bought a 47 CJ2 so she went out and got a new puppy. Her motto is if you can I can!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks