• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 series question

jimm1009

I will be picking up my first M35A2 in a month or so.
Have been reading and watching this list and G503 too.
Would it be prudent to remove the front drive hubs and rear axles shafts and install temporary hub covers or covers without shafts for flat towing? I do want locking front hubs but don't want to get them unitl I get the truck home. Could I put front hub covers on all axles?
I would think that this could help with gas milage on the 100 mile trip home as well as any potential problems that could be present in the truck as it sits in the Govmt lot.
The only thing that would be turning is the wheel on hub this way.

Thanks, Jim :shock:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim,
I would just haul it as it sits. You are only going 100 miles. How much money could you possibly save? $20? $40? I don't know what you are towing the truck with, but I don't see you saving that much in fuel costs.

Bruce

mangus580

It wont hurt it at all. Might not save you much in fuel costs... but its always nice to not have all the extra stuff spinning. Especially if the truck is unknown.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim,

If you decide to pull 'n cap axles, you only need to slide one hub/axle out per rear dual, anyway. You don't need to do it on both sides of the same axle. To do all four rear locations is over-kill, and more work/$$. I don't think you'll be able to drive the truck with everything unlocked either. Leave the rear-rear axle alone if you don't have any other reason to pull it.

I would do this on the driver's side forward-rear dual. That way, if you decide to put a lock-out hub on it in the future, you've already got a start. The driver's side with a lock-out means you don't have to walk all the way around the truck when you want to lock/un-lock. Draw-back; the driver's side is the least safe to be fiddling with a hub if all you've done is pull over to the right side of the road.

Hook it on! She'll follow you right to your house, (or wherever you're going).

View these threads and any others associated:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....0&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....2&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
When picking up a new truck it is easier and faster to just pull the spline covers off the front and the axles out of the rear. If your only going 100 miles, I woouldn't worry about capping them. Since the ring gear will not be moving, the gear oil will not go far.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pull the 4 shafts and 2 front drive flanges on all unknown trucks I drag. It's faster than checking all the fluid levels in the 3 axles and transfer case and I don't have to crawl around on my back.

Barrman

Plus, you can see the grease or lack of grease for all the wheel bearings. Just get a trailer side glad hand from a truck stop, hook a 50' air hose to it, bring along an air impact gun and a few sockets. You will have all the hubs and covers off in about 5 minutes. Assuming the truck will start and build air pressure that is.

DanMartin

Recovry4x4 said:
I pull the 4 shafts and 2 front drive flanges on all unknown trucks I drag. It's faster than checking all the fluid levels in the 3 axles and transfer case and I don't have to crawl around on my back.
Kenny,

I'm assuming you cover the now exposed hubs with something before hitting the road, right? Duct tape and plastic?

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovry4x4 said:
Go with this information. You will not go wrong. It is cheap insurance!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dan, I do cover the rears as they drip oil. The fronts I leave bare. The front flanges you pull off can be used to cover 2 of the rears. You can also plug the spindle and wipe everything else down, the outer seal will keep the wheelbearing grease in.

DanMartin

Kenny,

So...it would seem like a good idea to grab an extra set of stock front hubs (from someone who has put lockouts on) and have them in your "drag home kit" for sealing up the rears? What a great idea...that way you can get all 4 rear hubs sealed up easily. I bet you could find sets of them for almost nothing.

Maybe even a set for the front with the splines removed? Hmmm....

Something to jot down for the "drag" home for those so inclined.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A short while ago I scrapped and old M107 water buffalo. The older trailers had a different hub assy and had a stamped sheetmetal cover for the hub. This cover is 8 bolts just like the drive flanges. I'm hoping they can double for the covers for the rear. I have a pair of desplined hubs that I use for roadtrips. I often swipe a pair of flanges off one of the trucks here at the house for the trip home. The stock flanges aren't as easily located as you would think they are.