• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Cab Heater unit(s) best for N.E.Texas weather

saddamsnightmare

:?: Gentlemen and Ladies: Thanks again for the information on my M35A2's former user(s),the 300th QMC,88RRC, at Peru, Illinois. Now I am debating what type of cab heater to put in the truck, inasmuch as it never had on in 36 years of service. Here in Northeast Texas, it's not likely going to need an Arctic Diesel Fired Personnel HEater for the cab, So which system would do less damage to the fabric (historic) and still heat the cab.
1. Hot Water cab heater kit, from one of Uncle Sam's surplus truck dealers?
2. Do they make an electric 24VDC cab heater that will work on the M35A2?
(remember, this one's probably a Desert Storm veteran as near as we can figure it).

3. How hard is it to retrofit it with an air assist on the steering? I feel that its not much harder then the Swiss S404.114 one pavement in maneuvering, just slow to react to inputs as most large trucks are prone to do.
4. the windshield washer pumps not working, I guess I'll clean out the nozzles and reprime the pump. None of my operator's manuals even mention this itemas existing in 1976!

and:
Did the 1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2's always have the plastic Windshield wiper motors, or are they some inferior rebuild item from later in the truck's career? Or did they come with a better metal air motor unit originally?
Also what the guesstimated shipping weight of 5 roof bows boxed in knocked down condition (the ones with the fibreglass posts and metal corners and bows)??
And, yes, the truck picture(s) will materialize soon once I cannoodle a digital camera and figure out how to work one.

I bid you all a safe and happy Thanksgiving weekend, and come on down to Paris (Texas) some time, as my Unimog and M35A2 are the (semi)official travelling exhibits at the Sam Bell Maxey House State Historic Site.

Have a good one,
Regards,
Kyle F. McGrogan :?:

jwaller

water heater for the cab will work just fine for all but the coldest of cold climates.

Both my trucks have the plastic wiper motors but some of the newer replacements I have gotten do have "some" metal in them.

I have heard from some of the guys in the service that have used the air-o-matic steering and they didnt like them. air those front tires up and bulk up the forearms.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After having worked with the fuel burning heater for a while now, I'm sold on them. The best feature is that the engine doesn't have to run to get the cab warmed up....also it doesn't rob precious heat from the engine on a cold day. :)

jatonka

The hot water cab heater is easier to install than a fuel fired unit, cheaper to buy, easier to find for sale and a heck of a lot more dependable to work at all. We installed a brand new fuel fired heater in our M51A2 dump truck and it worked great for about one month. Trouble shooting the fuel fired heater is harder than the hot water heater.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the NG M35A2's I've seen in NY and NJ, they all had the "standard" water heater in them. If it's good enough foir the NE, I bet you'll be fine in TX with one.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Granted, the fuel burning heater is more complex, but once you'r on the road, the heater is no longer needed, so for warming up the engine/cab it's hard to beat.

John, what kind of trouble did you have with yours, after getting one of mine running, I got pretty good at fixing them and may be able to help? If there is a problem with fuel delivery, I can see how extended attempts to start it may burn out the wick, for example.

Since it is a stand alone unit, it will have other uses as well, read on a different forum how this Stewart Warner South Wind heater in an XM757 was used to heat a tent by using some extra duct works. :)

The hot water heater may be rated 30,000 BTU, but how hot will the engine have to be for that to happen?
The fuel burning heater wil put out 30,000 BTUs instantly. I even have a bigger, 60,000 BTU unit here too (came from wreckerman).

Looking for a smaller unit now with a coolant circulation pump, like Ethan has...

saddamsnightmare

November 22nd, 2007. Happy Thanksgiving and Thanks for the insights!
From K.F. McGrogan:
THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INSGHTS- A Hot Water Heater would seem to answer the problem, and if it gets too cold here, I'll just find a winter front for the radiator. On the note of cold starts- this is the best diesel outside of a Deutz air-cooled I've ever had for quick starting (even without the flame heater)! As to steering- I still say its no worse then a Unimog 404.114, and so I'll stay with the simple and NOT hook my thumb through the spokes. It always amazies me how the Army guys stood these trucks in the Great Lakes area without heaters- I guess heats a southern thing. Thanks again- have a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving, and do come and visit the Sam Maxey House military vehicle educational collection (mine-not the state's). And If you're convoying by- stop anyway.

I remain, Greatly Indebted & Most Respectfully,

Kyle F. McGrogan

chvss65

Heh Kyle, just a small world I live in Periu Illinois the Reserve units about 1/2 mile from my house !! probly saw your truck many times

hoggerlogger

Can any one tell me where to get parts for my Actric heater-- Stewart Warner South Wind--
Having probelms with over heating.