• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Leaf Springs...

mobiledab

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone been able to identify alternative 2" wide leaf springs? I've searched through all 111 archived posts and found little on the subject. Not interested in replacing the corporate M37 running gear--just looking for suitable replacement suspension. The limiting factor from what I've been able to find so far is the width as 2.5" is more common. Nothing wrong with my springs but trying to expedite a frame swap out on my 1951. Have seen some for sale on FB Marketplace; however, sellers will not ship. VPW has NOS but I can't justify cost of $1,300 just for rear set plus shipping--I'd spend on disc brake conversion instead. Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Canadianz

I was able to take mine to a local truck shop where they ordered in some springs that were the right width, then cut and arched them in house. Wasn’t overly expensive, and didn’t seem to be an odd order for the shop either. I think as long as the upper springs with the eyes are ok they should be able to do the rest no problem.
I’m my case I had two cracked leaves

Roller

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was able to take mine to a local truck shop where they ordered in some springs that were the right width, then cut and arched them in house. Wasn’t overly expensive, and didn’t seem to be an odd order for the shop either. I think as long as the upper springs with the eyes are ok they should be able to do the rest no problem.
Eaton Detroit Springhttps://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=933aed57d638a60cJmltdHM9MTcyNTMyMTYwMCZpZ3VpZD0xNDEzNjU5MS00NDE0LTY5NDgtMmU5My03NDAwNDViYTY4N2EmaW5zaWQ9NTM3Nw&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=14136591-4414-6948-2e93-740045ba687a&psq=eaton+spring+detroit&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZWF0b25kZXRyb2l0c3ByaW5nLmNvbS9sZWFmLXNwcmluZ3Mv&ntb=1

mobiledab

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you! Found a similar vendor in Rochester, NY who deals primarily with large commercial trucks/trailers as well as construction equipment. I will use them to go through my spring sets, but had hoped to find usable used M37 or suitable substitute to mount on new frame with trailer axles so I can move it around. Still using original springs on M37 with bent frame while I tear it down for swap. At this point I may just fab either a frame spinner or temporary mounts for the trailer axles. Appreciate your input!

David

mobiledab

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eaton Detroit Springhttps://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=933aed57d638a60cJmltdHM9MTcyNTMyMTYwMCZpZ3VpZD0xNDEzNjU5MS00NDE0LTY5NDgtMmU5My03NDAwNDViYTY4N2EmaW5zaWQ9NTM3Nw&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=14136591-4414-6948-2e93-740045ba687a&psq=eaton+spring+detroit&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZWF0b25kZXRyb2l0c3ByaW5nLmNvbS9sZWFmLXNwcmluZ3Mv&ntb=1
Thank you! Have spoken with Eaton, but they cost more than VPW. Again, nothing outwardly wrong or defective with respect to the spring sets I have now as described above to Canadianz. The more I think about it, fabricating a frame spinner for the donor frame may just be my best option. Gave the last one I made to guy who bought my 1946 Chevy 3100 short bed frame with C4 Corvette IFS and IRS. He could not finish the frame without it and I did not plan on doing any more frame-off, wheels-up builds. Funny how plans change. Made that one from two Harbor Freight engine stands and heavy-wall square steel tube for under $350 in materials. One rear spring alone is over $600! Again, I was hoping someone had broken the code on this subject--apparently not.

David