• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M5 turret remove

panzerwillie

Well being working on removing the turretof the M5 for the lastfew weeks,
not only is being raining on weekends here but also had to cut all the heads od the blocks that clamp the turret down, today me and the crew remove , i cut the remaining 3 clamping bolts, i remove a lot stuff inside the turret to be able to cut all te heads off including removing amo bins ect, i also replace a hydralic hose that broke on the tow truck, it was great to see it come apart, a lot of work ahead but today was a great day enjoy the pictures
IMAG0588.jpg

IMAG0591.jpg

IMAG0606.jpg

Attachments

L1A1

Wow that's some project. Thanks for posting the images. Always thought tanks in general looked kind of cool w/o their turrets mounted. The British towards the end of WWII started doing that to the Stuarts in their fleet. They replaced the turret with an M49 ring mount and a machine gun. Turning them into a fast, low silloette recon vehicle.

Matt

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, that Stuart looks strangely familiar. Was that the one from the 391st Bomb Group Restaurant by PBIA?

panzerwillie

Not sure where it came from, its being in freds hands for many years, i know it came here from portugal, where it rested till he got it not sure.....

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never been inside one of those, but in those pics the turret basket looks tiny! Looks decent on the outside, but the inside looks rough. I'm guessing your starting a full restoration? Awesome she's getting saved. I look forward to seeing the process and the final result.

panzerwillie

Yes is very small inside ,i had to remove what was left of the crew sits to be able to move around to cut the turret clamp bolts plus to remove all the bearing.adjusters yes the crew most have being under 5.9 i would think

panzerwillie

Well since removing the turret , we being slowly removing interior panels and amo storage cleaning up a little to get to the drive shafts to see if we can pull the power packs, even do it was light rain we made some pogress..:cookoo:

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow those Portugal M5's were rusty inside when Southeastern brought them in back in the 80's; looks like 20 more years of rusting has not been kind to yours. Time to find a sheet metal fabricator!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was one that sat beside a bar in SW Ohio for years (decades?). It looked eeirily similar inside.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of unique stuff there but most of it at the edge of being restorable. Now I'm wondering, that Stuart showed up at the 391st in the same span of time that the one in OH dissappeared. Wondering if that is coincidence. Bill, does Fred have any history on this piece of armor past the 391st?

Bill W

Kenny
I Fred has a paper trail for this tank and I think SECO come's to mind as part of its past owners ( something like there was three bought from Portugal ) but I don't know/remember all of it

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget there is an MVPA Army Motors article that lists all the ex-Portugal serial numbers. One way to be sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks