• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M543 Restoration begins...kinda

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Kinda" is because I started this months ago but I'm finally gaining some ground. I started tearing into the wrecker to get her prepared for paint. The previous paint looked cracked, like fish eye, but worse. I'm thinking too much hardener??? Anyway, I ended up using 40 grit sandpaper in order to try to make a dent in this stuff. It has not been an easy task. I thought painting a Deuce was a lot of metal but this thing takes the cake.

I can't believe how many crooks and crevises there are on these trucks. If I had a nickle for every hour I spent sanding, I'd be a millionare. Furthermore, I've sanded so much by hand, I have no finger prints leftaua.

The good news is that I'm about 80% there. I need to finish a bunch of the ancillary parts and items but otherwise, I'm rounding the bend. Here are a few pics.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've always thought the hardest MV in the world to paint was a wrecker. Just looking the back half makes me tired.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh jeez - I so feel your pain. I've had my 816 for just over a 1 year and don't seem to have made a dent in it yet - paint wise anyway, but boy, would I love to be half as far on as you are - great job and I really do empathise with the 'no finger prints' thing...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And now you know why lots of us would rather buy a sandblaster and be done with it, than buy a single piece of sandpaper. :)

Jeepsinker

Yup, I'm all about the blasting. You can do five hours of sanding in ten seconds with a blaster. Only way to go. Harbor freight has them for under 100 bucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks