• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 ring gear

Alexsha

How hard is it to install a ring gear in an m923a2? I'm looking at an out of state purchase and the seller said the following:

"Military removed ring gear so cannot be started."

What would this cost me and how long/involved would it be?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Almost ALL engines have a ring gear, either on the flywheel or flex plate, is the trans in the truck, VERY strange if the military removed the ring gear and Reinstalled the trans, if the trans is installed, I would look at a bad starter drive. This truck would have to be either very special or cheap to get me to look at it.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Almost ALL engines have a ring gear, either on the flywheel or flex plate, is the trans in the truck, VERY strange if the military removed the ring gear and Reinstalled the trans, if the trans is installed, I would look at a bad starter drive. This truck would have to be either very special or cheap to get me to look at it.
This completely.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Its also possible that the seller doesn't know what he's talking about.
ALSO the ring gear is tacked to the flywheel or flex plate after the install, most of the time when a ring gear needs replacing, a complete (ring gear already installed) flex plate or fly wheel is installed because it is a lot simpler and faster r&r. and a lot of people DO NOT know how to install a ring gear, so with what the OP stated, I would be VERY cautious in buying this truck, could turn into a deep money pit VERY QUICK, could have a BAD engine, trans, ect., without knowing the condition of the engine/trans., the truck is worth a bit more then scrap price, also IF the truck was worth fixing at a reasonable cost, the OWNER would have fixed it because you can get more for a RUNNING truck then a NON-runner.

Last edited:

KaiserM109

... This truck would have to be either very special or cheap to get me to look at it.
Ditto, Except for the fact that GL had taken all M939 series trucks off the auctions, I would tell you to cruise GL. $4500 in no bargain, even for a "Truck was driven onto the lot" truck, much less one with some wierd problem.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Another question to ask the owner, "How did he get the truck from GL to where it now sits", the more I think about this deal, the MORE I feel BAD VIBS, and the STINK is getting stronger.

In another words hold on to your money and find a RUNNING truck.

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
HAVE a SS member LOOK and PUT HANDS on the truck and report back to you, for $4,500, you CAN find a running, driving truck, this truck has no cover and bows, as I said, you can get a running truck in the same condition for $4500

plode

Could they mean the ring gear in the differential?
Doesn't exactly make sense with the "can't be started" bit though. Would be more of a cannot be driven.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Could they mean the ring gear in the differential?
Doesn't exactly make sense with the "can't be started" bit though. Would be more of a cannot be driven.
There's not really a "ring" gear in the diffs of a rockwell. Just the gear set and the bull gear sets. The large bull gear is sort of a ring though. But a busted diff wouldn't prevent the engine from being started.

acme66

Hey I think I just posted a question about this very same truck, in Great Falls right? I am only looking for parts but I remain curious as to how this could be. As for the prices, $4500 for a 'towed to lot' seems to be sort of the norm out in the boonies of Montana. 923's with turbo running hit $7000-$8000 all the time. Dumptrucks $10,000.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks