• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 series Radios

wsucougarx

Just curious if anyone has put any green radios in their M939 based trucks yet. I'm looking for pics and where you have put them. The biggest issue is the battery location. I have part of the M939 battery relocation kit (two tier battery box and supporting brackets only) and plan on maybe moving the batteries. Just curious where guys are actually mounting the radios. I have seen GL M939's with brackets extending from the top of the dash down onto the floorboards. Also have seen a shelf just below the rear hardtop window. Just seeing what my options are.
I have yet to secure a truck but have the VIC-1 system, LS-454's, MT-1029, MT-1898, RT-246a/vrc, and R-442a/VRC ready to go. However, looks like there isn't much real estate to put this gear. If I could afford the SINCGARS, then space wouldn't be such an issue.
Found this link for reference:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/milita...cs/13268-rt-524-radio-installation-setup.html

Attachments

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the deal with the radio mount.. It shakes and rattles like crazy. All my 5 tons in the Army had them as part of the "before it became FBCB2" experiment. Once you install the radios getting to the batteries is a huge PITA. You also loose one seat, taken up with the radio mount above it, if your planning on carrying 3 people. One of my soldiers figures out to mount the radio on the face of the passenger seat, pointing up. We sent that suggestion to CECOM, where we never heard back. We changed all the radios to that mounting position, got rid of all the bracketry, and were good to go. As far as it being an "Authorized mouting", I have no clue, but it worked for us. I do like the 5 ton antenna mount, and I put one of them on the fender of my deuce.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an NOS M939 radio mount kit, but I have not even pulled it out to look at it so I don't know how it mounts. Come to think of it, I don't actually have it in my possession, as a fellow SteelSoldier brought it from Aberdeen last year and still has it. If I EVER get over to pick it up (Sorry, Jesse!), I can show some pictures of the kit.

My M928A2 has the antenna mount on it and I thought I'd try to get a radio for the truck.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that is the mover and shaker special. Why they didnt make it out of one or two pieces of metal is beyond me....

Craig Williams (Cdub) had one mounted in his M925.. I dont know what happened to the truck after he passed away.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great thread Mike & Phil, [thumbzup]

I was wondering what implement those holes on the passenger fender seam were used for when I was looking over my new acquisition. I also have the triangular a shelf mounted on the rear window ledge.

Just that little shelf made it difficult to get into the battery box.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks